DECA plans trip to New York

Members look forward to meeting people, seeing sights

On May 23 DECA members will be meeting to plan next year’s trip to New York City.

DECA advisor Sally Adams said the DECA members go to New York each year to learn about different aspects of a multitude of industries.

“It’s called the ‘DECA New York Experience’, and it is what they call a Career Conference that is put on by National DECA, and we spend four full days in Manhattan learning about different career areas,” Adams said. “Including traveling tourism, hospitality, the sports and entertainment industry, the financial industry, and we visit things like Madison Square Garden, we go to Madame Tussauds and learn all about how that is part of the entertainment industry and how that works, there are representatives from the hotel we stay in that usually talk to us.”

Adams said on the trip DECA members, along with learning about the industries, get to visit and tour a lot of New York sites.

“We’ve gone also to the restaurant industry, which is part of hospitality and learned about that. Oh and fashion. I forgot about fashion and fashion merchandising,” Adams said. “We spend time in SoHo which is part of Manhattan that has a lot of fashion in it and some people from the fashion industry talk to us. We go down to Wall Street and tour that area and do some things related to the financial industry. They also, as part of the DECA part of it, we go and see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.”

DECA member junior Louis Brown said on the trip they will have a lot of different experiences including seeing people, learning about industries and generally enjoying the city.

“We’ll be meeting up with different chapters from Minnesota, we will be going site seeing everyday, we go see theatre shows, we go eat dinner with lots of different people, like important people from around DECA,” Brown said.“We just kind of sight see and meet other people, meet new friends, for five days. So it’s a lot of fun.”

Brown said the trip also allows for many members of DECA from across the country to meet.

“We have full leadership, we have districts, then state if you make it to districts you go on to state, then you have ICDC, which is the International Career Development Conference, which is another competition,” Brown said.“(The New York trip) kind of just has you meet everyone, so you might meet people from Connecticut, New Jersey, California, Texas, anywhere from the United States, China, South Korea and Spain. “

Adams said the DECA members will be going to New York during December of next year.

“Dates are Dec. 6 through Dec. 9, leaving on a Wednesday, coming back on a Sunday actually, so I guess we wouldn’t be back probably until Dec. 10, but I think that’s a Sunday,” Adams said.

Brown said he’s looking forward to the trip next year and the people he will get to see.

“It should be really fun, and I’m excited to meet the people that I met at ICDC that I’m still in contact with. We get to meet them again in New York,” Brown said.

The meeting will be conducted 8 a.m. May 26 in B226.