Participants enjoy Family Science Night despite low turnout

Simultaneously prepares high schoolers for IB exams, children interact with projects

Juniors+Carly+Livingston+and+Olivia+Massie+present+their+project+to+elementary+students+at+Family+Science+Night.+
Juniors Carly Livingston and Olivia Massie present their project to elementary students at Family Science Night.

Used with permission by Jenny Magdal

Used with permission by Jenny Magdal

When junior Maddy Kapel presented her project at Family Science Night this year, she enjoyed entertaining kids visiting her booth.

“I enjoyed seeing how happy and excited all of the kids were (when they came). It was great to see kids come up to my booth to learn more about science, ” Kapel said.

Kapel said her project was about solubility and helped her study for her IB exam.

“It’s how different solutions dissolve into different solutions. We (taught) about solubility. We did one where we’re taking borax and we made them into little crystals and then we made rock candy, and those are examples of solubility,” Kapel. “It’s really great review because before when we thought we could do it on solubility, I realized I don’t really remember this, and I actually go back and I do review it, and I feel a bit better about what solubility is.”

Science Department head Mark Miller said Family Science Night was a success.

“I think Family Science Night went very well again this year. (There was) a lot of participation, (and) lots of positive reports,” Miller said. “The kids and the parents were extremely interactive.”

Miller said nine companies came to Family Science Night this year to volunteer and contribute things based off of STEM (Science Technologies Engineering and Math) to help connect with the kids and explore more careers options related to STEM.

“(Before Family Science Night), I ask (the companies) to bring some things kids and parents can interact with related to STEM,” Miller said. “3M comes and does all of their demonstrations that’s all science related, and TRAIN came and made some examples of heating and cooling systems.”

Science teacher Patrick Hartman said he enjoyed seeing the kids being interested in the science projects  presented.

“I always like seeing the high school student projects that are presented. I think they do a great job making projects that are understandable by elementary age kids, it’s that’s fun to see them work with the little kids,” Hartman said.

Hartman said Family Science Night is beneficial for the high school students to practice presetnting and introduce little kids to options in science.

“I am always really impressed with the projects put together- some are better than others, but I think it’s great when they make things that are hands on for the elementary kids to try out,” Hartman said.

Kapel said she hopes her project helps kids understand scientific concepts.

“I hope (people) will learn more about solubility because sometimes it’s kind of confusing, and I hope it kind of makes more sense with these examples,” Kapel said.

Miller said although less people attended Family Science Night than usual this year, it is always wonderful to follow its main tradition of handing out T-shirts.

“We always shoot for about 500 people (to attend every year), so that’s our goal. Usually we are very close to 500, but we’re a little short this year,” Miller said. “(However), one of our favorite traditions we do at every family science fun night since the first one six years ago is we shoot T-shirts out of a cannon, and four lucky kids get a Family Science Night t-shirt.”