Cancellation suitable for senior dance

The intention of the Senior Boys’ Dance was not to embarrass Principal Rob Metz. However, following the dance, Metz said he felt like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football after Lucy tricks him and takes it away as he watched this year’s dance.

The cancellation of the dance, while disappointing to many, was the correct action to take. The dance had been inappropriate in previous performances and nothing has changed.

This year was the tipping point for the administration, and we approve of the actions they took.

The boys were also given more than enough warning that this may happen. They signed contracts saying the dance would not be inappropriate or give Metz any reason to suspend them.

However, a majority of the dance went against agreed upon terms. Therefore, the administration had every right to cancel it.

That is not to say this year’s dance was the sole reason for the ending of a tradition. The boys follow in each other’s footsteps with each passing year, and therefore the dances always contain inappropriate content.

However, the administration needs to be aware that while the cancellation may have been advised, further cancellations of non-mandatory school functions may infringe on freedom of expression.

For example, the administration canceled many traditions during the past year. For one, the senior stampede on the last day of school is no longer permitted. Even the senior wall, which the seniors still have access to, is subject to censoring and alterations by the administration.

We feel this limits students’ creative, community driven abilities. Therefore, it would be wise for the administration to allow new traditions to form as others are cancelled to appease its student body.

In light of lost traditions, it is up to future seniors to take advantage of this situation.

There is an opportunity to build a better sense of community through new activities like a skit, while still leaving a mark at this school.

Dancing is one possible outlet for students looking to bond as a grade.

Future seniors have a chance to be remembered for something fresh and new.