Artist brings drawing to life

Pursuing creative opportunities at MCAD

Senior Calvin Youngren sketches faces of random caricature-like people at his house to practice skills and prepare for his five hour class every Tuesday at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design Dec. 6.

Jane Anderson

Jane Anderson

Hannah Leff

How long have you been interested in art?

My whole life, I’ve always been interested in art. I can’t remember a time where I wasn’t. I’ve always been sketching and drawing little pictures whether is was of “Star Wars” or “Spiderman,” just things I was into.

What kind of classes do you take at Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD)?

Right now, I’m taking a foundation drawing class, which is like the entry-level drawing class for college. Just charcoal and still life.

What made you want to take classes at an arts college?

I had never even thought of PSEO or anything, but then I heard of it and realized how nice it would be. There was really no disadvantage for it, so I just went for it.

How did you hear of the opportunity to attend class at MCAD?

I heard about PSEO through friends, but I took more interest when my parents and the counselor started recommending it (and) then I looked into it myself.

How often do you take classes there?

I take the class every Tuesday and the class is five hours long.

Why did you decide to take classes there?

I get a few hours off of the day and it gets me college credits. I get to do something that actually interests me.

What is it like to take classes at an arts college as a high schooler?

I actually enjoy it because I’ve always been a little ahead of what high school can really offer me. It’s nice to take a college class that is about the level I’m at.

Do you plan to take any more classes at MCAD? Which ones?

I do plan to take another class next semester. I have to see what is available but possibly more drawing or sculpting work.

What inspires you and your art?

Usually other artists. Most of the time I don’t know who they are. I just see drawings or art that I like and then I’ll try it myself to see maybe how they did it or if I can come up with my own style.

Why do you like art?

I’ve always used art to my advantage. I think I’ve always been good at it. It’s nice to represent stuff in a medium that you’re able to.

What kind of art do you create?

I wouldn’t say cartoony but maybe in that style, caricature-like. I like working with figures and people and characters.

Do you have any goals?

I’m always trying to get better. I’m always trying to figure out what kind of style I have and hopefully go somewhere with it, showing it off somewhere.

Will you be pursuing a post-secondary education in art?

I definitely will be continuing art, no major as of now, but I do plan to go to the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.