Athletes commit to collegiate sports

Jonah Resnick
Lauren Miller (Left), and Riley Riordan (Right) have committed to North Dakota State University and Northern Illinois University respectively.
Seniors decide where to play soccer in the fall
Two of Park’s senior captain soccer players will compete at the highest level of collegiate soccer in the United States next year.

Both Riley Riordan and Lauren Miller signed a National Letter of Intent to play division one soccer  on Feb. 6. Riordan committed to Northern Illinois University and Miller signed for North Dakota State University.

Riordan has been the starting varsity goalkeeper at Park since she transferred from Benilde St. Margarets in 2011. During her senior season she made 143 and had four games with no goals against. Riordan said this transition to Park from Benilde taught her many lessons that will make settling into the college lifestyle easier.
“My time at Park helped me on and off the field to build positive relationships with people,” Riordan said. “It will be easier to go because I have already learned to adapt.”
Riordan has had a short time playing for the Orioles compared to Miller who has been on the varsity team since seventh grade. Miller holds three career records for Park’s girls soccer program, most goals with 74, most assists with 49 and most points with 123. Miller said Park taught her different lessons such as how to be a leader on the soccer field.
“I learned to play as if you’re at the highest level and I grew as a person and leader,” Miller said.
Brad Brubaker, the girls’ varsity assistant coach, said he saw the girls grow as players and people during their time playing for Park. According to Brubaker, Miller and Riordan were strong technical players who continuously worked to improve themselves during the high school season.

“At the end of the day those two worked their tails off,” Brubaker said.

Both Riordan and Miller said they were ready to work hard and play in college. Brubaker said he is proud to see Miller and Riordan continue to play at the division one level after high school.

“It is always fun to see a kid go on and compete at a different level and continue their love of the sport,” Brubaker said.