Boys’ soccer seniors reflect on final season

More experience brings greater responsibility

Senior captain Ian Lockhart dribbles with the ball as sophomore Sam Diamond runs to meet him. Lockhart said he needed to step up as a leader this season.

Mira Swartz

Mira Swartz

Atticus Raasch

According to senior captain Ian Lockhart, in a big game against Wayzata, watching the ball sail over 30 yards into the opponent’s net is something he will never forget.

Lockhart said his favorite memory from his final season was a goal against Wayzata Aug. 27.

“This year, my personal favorite memory was one of the goals I scored against Wayzata,” Lockhart said. “It was was one of the best goals I’ve ever scored, I’ll definitely remember it.”

Senior captain Daniel Decker said his favorite memory came from a team bonding exercise.

“My favorite memory was probably the interventions or team chemistry building exercises that the other captains and I helped put into action,” Decker said. “It helped us move forward as a team and I got to know a lot of the other guys better because of them.”

Lockhart said he and the other seniors had a lot of responsibilities to face on the team.

“I had to be a leader. This year we had a very young team there were a lot less seniors,” Lockhart said. “I already had leadership responsibilities as a captain I think the rest of the seniors also had to really step up and be leaders.”

Sophomore Cole Beaton said seniors play an important role in team life.

“The seniors were great for the team,” Beaton said. “They always encourage everyone and keep us happy with one another.”

Decker said the leadership role he has in new to his life.

“I see the soccer team as a brotherhood and I always have and always will. I have two older brothers and I’ve always been the little brother. On the varsity team I’ve always felt like a little brother until this year,” Decker said. “I’ve taught them all I could and I’ll continue to teach all the guys in the program in the future as much as I can.”

Lockhart said he would miss the people and atmosphere varsity soccer provided.

“I’m going to miss so many things,” Lockhart said. “Chato (Alvarado)the coach, soccer in general, just being with everybody, and definitely just playing in the stadium under the lights. It’s always really fun.”

Decker said his teammates and coaches made soccer special for him.

“I’ll definitely miss all the teammates and coaches I’ve had throughout the years playing here,” Decker said. “Especially Chato, I’ve known him since I was little when my brothers played. He helped me improve my game a lot. I’d like to thank him for all he has done for me.”

Beaton said he looks forward to having the responsibilities upperclassmen carry.

“I’m excited, the seniors have the responsibility of being mature and being good role models for the younger people on the team,” Beaton said. “They also have to be nice and always work on team chemistry.”