Boys’ basketball defeats Cooper

Senior+Guard+Mykal+Howard+goes+for+a+layup+against+a+Cooper+defender+at+boys%27+basketball+senior+night+Feb+28.++The+team+will+play+its+first+section+game+at+7p.m.+March+3+against+Chanhassen+at+Chanhassen+High+School.+
Senior Guard Mykal Howard goes for a layup against a Cooper defender at boys' basketball senior night Feb 28.  The team will play its first section game at 7p.m. March 3 against Chanhassen at Chanhassen High School.

Senior Guard Mykal Howard goes for a layup against a Cooper defender at boys' basketball senior night Feb 28. The team will play its first section game at 7p.m. March 3 against Chanhassen at Chanhassen High School.

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Second half turnaround brings senior night victory

The Park boys’ basketball beat Cooper 61-57 on senior night, bringing its record to 13-12.

Coach Dave Breitenbucher said the team had a rough start but pulled it together by working as a team.

“I don’t think we were transitioning, pushing the ball up the court like we could’ve in the beginning. It was too slow, I think that we made Cooper look good at the beginning,” Breitenbucher said. “I think it was more on the offense, we just weren’t in sync especially in the first half.  Second half started out slow but then we really got into the groove. I think we just need to be who we are.”

Senior forward Josiah Morrow said the team especially played well during the second half.

“We played pretty good, but we started out pretty slow. We just weren’t focused and we were missing a lot of shots too. Then we picked it up at halftime and got the win,”  Morrow said.

Breitenbucher said to prepare for Sections, the team needs to focus on its defensive skills and ball control.

“We could face Cooper again, there’s are really good chance. We have to work on keeping them in front of us and stop the dribble penetration and we have to work on our defense. I think that’s the biggest thing,” Breitenbucher said.

Junior guard Cire Mayfield, who scored 10 points in the win, said senior night brought intensity to both the team and the crowd.

“I won’t say pressure but more excitement for us to come out. People were more pumped than usual, we had a big crowd, I like big crowds. It gets me more hyped. I felt that the crowd was into it so we were into it too,” Mayfield said.

Mayfield is one of the top leading scorers on the team with an average of 12.8 points per game, according to MN Basketball Hub.

Morrow said he hopes the team takes the excitement from senior night and brings it to Sections.

“All the seniors wanted to get the win tonight to remember it. We’re pretty excited for Sections and hopefully make it to the state tournament and win it all,” Morrow said.
The team plays its first Sections game against Washburn at 7 p.m. Mar. 8 in the old gym.