Park swimmer commits to Seattle University

DeLozier to compete at Division 1 level

William Phelan

Senior Kailey DeLozier signs her commitment to Seattle University for Division 1 swimming. She signed the contract Nov. 9.

Stuart Monicatti

For senior Kailey DeLozier, her dream of swimming at the Division 1 Collegiate level has become a reality with her recent commitment to swim at Seattle University.

“I started thinking about swimming in college my freshman year, but it was just in the back of my head and I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do,” DeLozier said. “Halfway through my sophomore year I made a commitment to myself that I would get serious about looking at schools and talking to coaches.”

DeLozier said she was drawn to Seattle University because it combined many of the characteristics she desires in a school.

“I started looking at Seattle University because I liked the location, and they had the good academics and good swim program that I was looking for,” DeLozier said.

Although the school interested DeLozier prior to her visit, she said being on campus helped make her final decision.

“During my official visit, I was just hanging out with the team one night and that’s when I decided I want to be a part of this,” DeLozier said. “I knew this is where I was going to end up.”

According to DeLozier, this commitment is a product of her many efforts to get in touch with major college programs.

“Many of the smaller schools will reach out to you, but for the larger programs you need to reach out to them,” DeLozier said. “I had to get used to being comfortable putting myself out there to these coaches and understanding that they might say no, but most coaches are willing to talk to you and figure out how you will fit into a program.”

Joe Yaeger, the head coach of Park’s girls’ swim team, said he feels DeLozier deserves the opportunity to swim at the Division 1 level.

“I think she is 100 percent a collegiate athlete. Swimming is different because there are not many swim schools, and most of them are either east or west, but she is definitely a college level athlete and I am very happy for her,” Yaeger said.

Yaeger said DeLozier’s passion for swimming helped her get to the next level.

“Swimming is a sport in which you are constantly by yourself, and whenever you think you are going as fast as you can somebody is always asking you to go faster,” Yaeger said. “She loves working hard — the minute our high school season is done she is already looking forward to her club season. A lot of other swimmers take time off between seasons, but she is constantly in the pool working to get better.”

According to DeLozier, it is a great relief to have made a college decision.

“It is definitely a big weight off of my shoulders,” DeLozier said. “Now I am able to focus more on my senior year academics and finishing up my high school swimming season.”

college-commitm_17726759_4b3587caeea57328697674ea77d9e9a7c1cd0f68