A-List Athlete: Branch Johnson

Who: Branch Johnson, senior

Sport: Boys’ swimming

When did you start swimming?
I started swimming sophomore year,  mostly because my friend wanted me too, but I’m glad I did. I wasn’t too interested at first, but I ended up liking it.

Who do you look up to as a swimmer?
I look up to Erik McCague (graduating class of 2012). All of us watched and learned from him when he swam. Everyone on the team looks up to him as an example.

How does it feel to break the 100-yard backstroke pool record?
It felt pretty good. The day before the meet I was sick and wasn’t swimming very strongly during practice, so I wasn’t expecting to break it. I had got the time to beat the record at other meets, so I knew I could beat it at home. But, I was still shocked and overwhelmed. Overall, it was a happy and emotional time because it was my last race at home and it was my favorite event.

Do you plan to swim in college?
Yeah, I plan to swim at Luther College, and I’m looking forward to it.

Did you receive a scholarship?
Luther is a D3 school, so I didn’t receive a scholarship for swimming, but I did receive a scholarship for academics.

Do you have any pre-meet rituals?
I stretch a lot and I go up to the blocks a couple heats before I race and tune out the rest of the world. I just focus and think about my swim ahead of me. I started this ritual when I started getting serious about swimming.

What is your best memory from your time as a swimmer?
I guess my best memory is probably breaking the pool record. It’s the greatest thing I’ve done on the team since I started swimming.

What is your biggest strength?
My biggest strength as a swimmer is that I’m a good sprinter, but I also like individual medleys (200 yards). Also, I’m pretty comfortable with all swim strokes.

As a captain, how do you lead the team?
When I was first named I was kind of surprised. It makes me feel honored to be a captain.

You’re 6’7”. How does your height give you a distinct advantage over other swimmers?
My height helps me in many ways. When I first dive into the water, I am already a foot ahead of the other swimmers, and my long arms and legs give me a big kick and the ability to reach far. My long arms also give me an advantage at the finish, because I can reach further.

How does it feel never to have lost to Benilde-St. Magaret’s?
It feels good. We are moving conferences, so we will never face Benilde again. We have great meets against them and both teams look forward to them. We have never lost to them, and now it’s going to stay that way.