Ice fishing reels in interest

Isaac Greenwood, Student Life Editor

Cold weather offers new outdoor activities

Despite spending hours waiting in subzero temperatures on Lake Calhoun, junior Sam Larson said he finds a sense of enjoyment and accomplishment in catching fish under the frozen surface.

Ice fishing is an activity where residents drill holes in the ice of frozen lakes to catch a fish. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) estimates more than 1 million ice fishing licenses are sold each year. Larson, who started fishing when he was 12 years old, said the activity demands a great deal of perseverance.

“Unlike other winter activities, which involve movement, ice fishing requires patience and tolerance to freezing temperatures,” he said.

However, not all students are as enthusiastic about the activity as Larson. Sophomore Shivbir Singh said ice fishing may encourage strengthening social connections, but the cold weather dissuades him.

“I would not ice fish. It would be really cold and take a lot of time to catch fish,” he said.

However, Three Rivers Park District recreation supervisor Alex McKinney said ice fishing is a good way to experience Minnesotan winters.

“You do not need a boat like for summer fishing, and you can fish on almost any spot on the lake,” McKinney said. “Dressing properly and being aware of the ice condition are important for staying safe.”

Science teacher Al Wachutka said ice fishing is an escape from stress at work and home.

“I like the solitude and meditative qualities ice fishing provides,” he said. “Ice fishing is completely different from normal fishing, it is not about catching the biggest or the best, rather it’s more about the journey and preparation.”

Licenses, required for those 16 years and older are available for $17 from the DNR’s website, or at the Holiday gas station off Highway 100 at Minnetonka Boulevard.