New Netflix original shows gaining popularity:

Content provides wide variety of entertainment

Press release from Netflix.

Press release from Netflix.

Press release from Netflix.

KJ Preston Pepperell

Since its beginning, Netflix has been consistent and reliable in supplying shows and movies that provide different options for its viewers to choose from. In recent years, Netflix began producing original content alongside network and cable shows.

Of the 100+ original content options, two family-friendly shows stand out among the bunch as great options for Park students. One of them is brand new, while the other is about to air its third season. In keeping with tradition, all Netflix original content is released by season, typically on an annual basis. Both of these shows are receiving a lot of attention, and for good reason.

“A Series Of Unfortunate Events” is one of the newest Netflix original shows, and was released on Jan. 13. Based off of the early 2000’s book series of the same name, the show is directed with a well-executed modern twist, and the show has quickly become a favorite.

“Unfortunate Events” humor is a mix of subtle young adult wit and some childish comedy, and though the actors have to balance out the delivery of both, they always manage to land spot-on jokes. Patrick Warburton and Neil Patrick Harris are the two best actors in the shows, putting together different levels of their characters seamlessly. Other cast members include Will Arnett as “Father” and the 14-year-old Malina Weissman as Violet Baudelaire, who are both exceedingly talented and make the characters easy to be attached to. Classic characters combined with modern humor make “A Series of Unfortunate Events” a fantastic show for all ages.

Rating: 4/5

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” was first released on March 6, 2015, but with the excitement over the upcoming third season, set to be released on May 19, it is a must-see for students.

Tina Fey’s “Kimmy Schmidtcaptivates viewers because it satirizes real-world situations and spins them in unexpected but invited ways. The cast of “Kimmy Schmidt” is both hilarious and brilliant, featuring Ellie Kemper as the title character, Tituss Burgess as Titus Andromedon, Carol Kane as Lillian and Jane Krakowski as Jacqueline. The best part of the show is that it’s completely new and unique from anything else on television. It’s witty and has an amazingly diverse cast. Students should watch the show because it teaches people to be more carefree in an odd but compelling way. It inspires and enables viewers to pursue their most ambitious dreams, sending the message that we are more capable and resilient than we realize.

Rating: 5/5