‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ a compelling new show

Hulu Original creative and cruel

Fair use from IMDb

Fair use from IMDb

Fair use from IMDb

Alexis Machoka

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’, a best-selling novel written by Margaret Atwood, was recently adapted as a Hulu original. The show is set in a future dystopian society where the first book of the bible, the book of Genesis, is taken quite literally; women are forced to live as Handmaids under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.

The Handmaid’s Tale is a compelling show that makes viewers question the security of their rights. A viewer might ask themselves if it is possible for society to regress this severely.  The Handmaid’s Tale doesn’t fail to entertain within the first few minutes of the show. Viewers are immediately thrown into a whirlwind of confusion, which inspires continued binging.

The shows cinematography is truly ravishing and makes the show more pleasing to watch. For example, in awkward scenes in the plot, the cinematographer elects to shoot the scene at strange angles, evoking feelings in viewers that mimic the on-screen characters. The dialogue of this show is so awkward at times that it can be frustrating, as characters speak in a formal manner and often times don’t make eye contact with one another.

The narration of the show is what makes it the most intriguing. Elisabeth Moss, the actress who plays Offred, has a voice that makes will make viewers hang to every word. She narrates the show with unbelievable wit and even humor at times, which is unexpected given the  intense dramatic nature of the show. The cast is perfectly chosen, especially the main characters.  I couldn’t imagine any other actors in the roles of these men and women that could do better – the casting director hit the nail on the head.

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ is a show that will make viewers question the world around them. ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ makes its viewers wonder what kind of drastic events could occur in this day and age. This show won’t appeal to all people or even students because of the mature content and dystopian setting, but it will interest students who have a more developed taste in television. The discourse of this show can be very heavy at times and takes analysis to completely understand, I would not recommend this show for casual viewing.

Rate: 4/5