Lil Pump’s first studio album fails to amaze

Fair use from Hot New Hip Hop.

Fair use from Hot New Hip Hop.

Fair use from Hot New Hip Hop.

WIlliam Phelan

Lil Pump’s long awaited first studio album, aptly titled “Lil Pump,” was released on Thursday night, proving to be a direct extension of his previous singles.

Initially, the tracklist is striking. Gazzy Garcia’s, known professionally as Lil Pump, self-titled first project includes a diverse range of features, from Smokepurpp, his regular collaborator and fellow Miami native, as well as more established artists such as Gucci Mane and 2 Chainz. In addition to his new tracks, Garcia elected to include remastered versions of his previously debuted anthems, such as D Rose and Gucci Gang on this album.

The Miami native’s release of a refined studio album is symbolic of the transition of mainstream hip-hop from the sophisticated lyrical creations of `Kendrick Lamar to the flex-filled style of rappers previously only found on to ‘Soundcloud’ artists. Today, deep lyrics have become less important than the style and tempo of the beat, as well as the artist’s flaunting of illegal activity and money.

Garcia ultimately sticks to his signature style, consisting of catchy trap beats, ad-libs, and repetitive lyrical patterns that garnered initial support from the Soundcloud community at the beginning of his career.

Overall, although this release is significantly more formal than any of his previous tracks, there is no noticeable difference in his music overall. Even “Iced Out,” which features hip-hop legend 2 Chainz, uses the exact same structure of simple rhymes about money, women, and drugs loosely organized around a monotonous beat. Despite 2 Chainz’s proven-ability to put together clever rhymes that are relevant to the themes of his tracks, his verse on ‘Iced Out’ is lyrically indistinguishable from that of Garcia on the same song.

Ultimately, the album is exactly what Garcia’s fan hoped for. Garcia catered perfectly to the teenage audience that idolizes him by ramping up his ‘flexing’, with mentions of Ferraris and designer clothes. The lack of sophistication may leave older listeners wondering how this project can pass as music, but Garcia’s appeal is truly a generational phenomenon. Although it may not be suitable for concert halls, Garcia’s debut will surely circulate locker rooms and parties for some time to come.

“Lil Pump”: 3/5