‘A Wrinkle in Time’ presents stunning scenery

Book-to-movie adaptation satisfies viewers

Used with permission from Disney

Used with permission from Disney

Used with permission from Disney

Samantha Klepfer

“A Wrinkle in Time,” based on the beloved book by Madeleine L’Engle, creates a vibrant and colorful universe filled with mysterious and powerful forces. The film follows Meg Murry (Storm Reid) as she travels through the universe in search of her father.

The A-list cast provides mixed performances. Although Oprah Winfrey’s Mrs. Which is effortlessly wise, Chris Pine’s portrayal of his character is bland and stale. Reese Witherspoon creates a cheery, blunt persona that seems strained from the get-go, but Mindy Kaling’s Mrs. Who, whose dialogue is made up entirely of other people’s words, still has dimension and individuality.

Since the movie’s script so closely resembles the book’s language, some of the dialogue feels a little forced. Despite this, the movie is quite enjoyable. The main characters are relatable and Meg Murry develops significantly during the film. The worlds created by the set design and visual effects coordinators are breathtaking and each one is a colorful adventure.

The hair and makeup stood out in terms of its quality and eccentricity, though less so on Earth where it was toned down for a more realistic representation of the planet. This adds to the contrast between the characters from Earth and the different otherworldly beings. The makeup of the entities that Meg and company meet was as excessive as it was flawless, with characters sporting rhinestone eyebrows and green lipstick.

The worlds created by the set design and visual effects coordinators are breathtaking and each one is a colorful adventure.”

— Samantha Klepfer

The costume design was another highlight of the movie. Everyone from Earth had a pretty standard plain wardrobe while everyone’s outfits outside of earth were amazingly whimsical and fit their respective scenes perfectly.

Overall, I really liked the movie. Although it wasn’t a cinematic masterpiece, the film had a good message throughout. Though it was slightly cheesy at parts, the overall theme of growing hope and acceptance struck home.