‘RBG’ charms, informs audience

Documentary on supreme court justices’ life empowers viewers

Fair use from CNN Films

Fair use from CNN Films

Fair use from CNN Films

Ruby Stillman

On Mother’s Day, my mom rounded up our family, and we all headed to the Uptown Theatre to see “RBG,” a documentary about the life of supreme court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I have always had an affinity for Ginsburg — I even dressed as her for Halloween this year — but after seeing the movie, I now know so much more about her accomplishments and have a renewed respect toward her.

Within the last few years, the 85 year old Jewish feminist icon has become inspiration to many, including myself, and has been given the name “The notorious RBG” for her dedication. The movie highlighted her determination to promote change within a minority, which inspired me to pursue ways in which I can help my community grow too.

The film successfully illustrated her early legal career as a pioneer in sex discrimination law and explored how her childhood and family life affected her professional path, as well as her more current position and her title as the “Great dissenter.”

Through interviews with colleagues, grandchildren, longtime friends, and experts in law, her impact on americans’ lives became clear.

Throughout the movie, the audience was able to catch a glimpse of Ginsburg’s hilariously adorable personality, by showing workout clips and a walk through her various decorated collars for each dissenting occasion.

I found myself constantly chuckling and being charmed by the reserved unexpected pop culture icon.

Not only was the film entertaining, but I was able to be educated on the workings of the Judicial branch, its history and how it affects me as a woman.

I recommend this movie to anyone interested in civil rights, and wants to be fascinated and empowered by the story of a cool lady who, although faced with much opposition, stopped at nothing to achieve her goals.

Ruby Stillman, Opinions Editor

Helllloooooo there. I’m Ruby! I like opinions and when people express them. That’s fitting cause I’m the opinions editor which is really awesome!!! I like Noodles Pad Thai and could eat it every day for the rest of my life. Hope you have a wonderful day!! 😵 😘👌