‘Beerbongs and Bentleys’ brings energy and emotion to listeners

Post Malone’s new album demonstrates vulnerability and emotion

Claire Bargman

Austin Post’s new album, “Beerbongs & Bentleys” portrays themes of excessive fame and trust issues. The album is filled with touching lyrics that many listeners can relate to.

According to Post’s tweet from December of 2016, “Beerbongs & Bentleys isn’t a song… it’s a whole project. Also a lifestyle and it’s coming”. The 22 year old known as Post Malone formally released a preview to the album.

Two of those songs are “Psycho” which features Ty Dolla Sign and “Rockstar” with 21 Savage which reached heights of the Billboard Hot 100 for 31 consecutive weeks. Later, “

Stay” and “Spoil My Night” a collaboration with Swae Lee leaked causing hype for the new album. These songs all portray some important themes throughout the rest of the album which are excessive fame and trust issues. 

“Beerbongs & Bentleys” explores many different beats and textures, giving the album a glimpse into Post’s deep emotions. Even though Post Malone is considered a rapper, this album along with his past one “Stoney” incorporates relaxed R&B/Soul that stretches the limits of Hip Hop and Rap. With songs like “Rich and Sad,” listeners are treated to a slow heartfelt beat with very personal emotional lyrics, like “I would throw it all away, I just keep on wishing that the money made you stay,” portraying Post’s’  loneliness despite extreme fame and wealth. As the album progresses, more upbeat songs like “Zack and Codeine” show another side of Post with lines like “my life’s so ‘suite,’ I feel like Cody” in reference to the children’s television show, Disney’s “The Suite Life of Zack and Cody”.

Overall, this album contains very powerful and moving lyrics that gets many listeners thinking about their feelings, just like much of his past music. “Beerbongs & Bentleys” is jam-packed with heavy bass sounds, alluring melodies,  and crisp beats. Some of the lyrics are fairly profane, but that’s no surprise, based on the album’s name, his past work and the parental advisory on the cover.

My personal favorites are “Paranoid”, “Takin’ Shots” and “Sugar Wraith,” all demonstrating the album’s variety and vulnerability, meaning “Beerbongs & Bentleys” has something for everyone. I would recommend this album to anyone who loves Post’s moving and sentimental lyrics. Along with the honest words, the array of songs entertains a broad audience. Ultimately, the album is hands down worth the 137.6 MB of storage.

SaveSave

Claire Bargman, Photo Editor

Sooo hi. It’s Claire. I like cooking, wrapping up in a blanket and doing stuff outdoors. I spend some of my time at soccer and nordic ski practice (even...