Netflix movie charms viewers

‘Ibiza’ gives off perfect summer vibes

Netflix movie charms viewers

Fair use from Netflix.

Fair use from Netflix.

Fair use from Netflix.

Fair use from Netflix.

Jenna Cook

One of Netflix’s most recent original additions, “Ibiza” left me amused and entertained just as any good summer travel movie should. The film tells the story of a young woman, Harper (Gillian Jacobs), who travels to Spain on a business trip along with her friends. In a turn of events, Harper is noticed by a renowned DJ (Richard Madden) in a Barcelona club and decides to leave all cares behind, following him to Ibiza for his show the following night.

“Ibiza” performed well as a comedy, Harper’s friends Nikki (Vanessa Bayer) and Leah (Phoebe Robinson) serving as the main points of comic relief, although Jacobs did not fall short herself. The trio possesses an infatuating quirky charisma, always saying the wrong things at the wrong times but somehow making it work for them.

Madden was also a strong point in the cast, portraying DJ Leo West. His awkward personality and Scottish accent make him instantly lovable and adorable, not to mention the fact that he trips and falls in his first appearance in the film. Madden, better known from projects like “Game of Thrones” and “Cinderella” displayed a wide acting range, Leo West being nothing like his fantasy hero characters.

The visuals and music blend together in a way that truly sets “Ibiza” apart from other summer party films. Since a good part of the movie takes place at different parties, using bright colors and EDM music makes the most sense, and also makes the film dizzying in a way I expect it was meant to.

Although I have no complaints of the acting or overall aesthetic, the writing in the film felt a bit bland. Moments that were meant to be hilarious were only either stressful or awkward or an awful combination of the two. Since the trio’s main goal is to get laid, meaningful dialogue was probably not the first thing on the writers’ minds.

Overall, “Ibiza” was a fun watch that made me want to go on my own adventure in a foreign country, and opened my eyes to what letting your cares go can do. Harper manages to bounce back from her endeavors extremely quickly as only a strong independent woman can do.

Rating: 3/5

Jenna Cook, Copy Editor

Hi sisters! My name is Jenna and I am a senior as well as one of the Echo’s lovely copy editors this year. My interests include Netflix, trashy YA novels...