Nicki Minaj claims the rap throne with new release

‘Queen’ demonstrates impressive beats and rhythms

Tjessa Arradondo

Nicki Minaj’s third studio album, “Queen” brings out both old and new trap style vibes with tracks that deserve much needed hype.

The Trinidadian-born rapper introduces part of her Carribean roots through songs such as “Ganja Burns,” which perfectly combines with Minaj’s traditional rap rhythms. The song is full of dance-worthy beats that flow perfectly into the following track “Majesty” which features established rapper Eminem.

Minaj’s chart topping “Barbie Dreams” collectively calls out many famous rappers such as Drake and Young Thug. In the same track, the 35-year-old artist combines The Notorious B.I.G.’s “Dreams” beat with the impressive hardcore stated verses.

Ariana Grande and Nicki’s previous collaborations such as “Side to Side” have led to chart topping rankings such as the Billboard Top 40. The most recent collaboration “Bed” between the duo reached similar numbers.

Big name features such as Lil Wayne and Future lead the audience to recognize familiar voices and enjoy the track further.  “Chun Swae” which features Swae Lee brings a heavy trap type feel throughout the song, following a heartfelt breakdown from Nikki about a touching message to her fans.

Another brilliant collaboration in Minaj’s recent album features The Weeknd in their dynamic heartbreak “I Thought I Knew You.” The two perfectly flowed through the song together with a mechanical rhythm.

But Minaj easily claims her spot alone with “Run & Hide” which offers a new vibe for the artist, while at the same time going along the rest of the tracks on the album.

Compared to The Pinkprint, Queen has allowed more room in for Nicki to experiment with new trap vibe feels.

“Queen” delivers empowerment with the title itself. But constant motivation in songs like “Chun-Li” and “LLC”  rewinds back to Minaj’s classic dominate rap vibe.

Nicki Minaj’s newest album can be download and listened to on multiple music platforms including Apple Music.

“Queen”: 4/5

Tjessa Arradondo, Writer, Photographer

Hi everyone ! I'm a sophomore and my name is Tjessa Arradondo . If you're wondering the J in my name is in fact silent ! I am a writer and photographer...