‘Isn’t it Romantic’ amuses audiences

New film satirizes, magnifies absurdities of rom-coms

Fair+use+from+Warner+Bros.+

‘Isn’t it Romantic’ amuses audiences

Fair use from Warner Bros.

Fair use from Warner Bros.

Fair use from Warner Bros.

Fair use from Warner Bros.

Tamar Gewirtz

The film “Isn’t it Romantic” makes fun of the genre of romantic comedies and does so in a successful and hilarious way. Although it won’t be winning any Oscars for brilliance or originality, it is still worth a trip to the movie theater.

The film begins with a young Natalie (Rebel Wilson) being told by her mother that she will never experience in real life what those in romantic comedies experience. Years later, Natalie hates rom-coms with a burning passion, along with the idea of finding love.

When Natalie wakes up in an alternative universe where couples are proposing on every corner, and doves are flying in the skies in the shape of hearts, she realizes she is in a romantic comedy. The movie then subtly and not-so-subtly highlights the absurd aspects of romantic comedies in a hilarious way.

Everything that Natalie would mock about a romantic comedy comes to life: a gay best friend, someone narrating her every action and feeling, musical numbers, running in slow motion to crash a wedding and of course, the happy ending with the perfect prince charming.

Although the film overall doesn’t have much of a deeper meaning or any heart-wrenching scenes, it is light, silly and enjoyable. The ending is also heartfelt when she learns that she, as well as anyone else, is deserving of that romantic comedy life. 

Each scene of “Isn’t it Romantic” is more funny than the last. Rebel Wilson portrays her character is such a perfect way, and everything she says results in laughter from every corner of the movie theater.

The supporting cast of well-renowned actors — including Liam Hemsworth, Adam DeVine and Priyanka Chopra — portray such perfectly and well-suited characters, making the viewing of the film all the more convincing and enjoyable. Fans of “Pitch Perfect” may also get a sense of deja vu after seeing the actors of the beloved couple, Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) and Bumper (Adam DeVine) together in a movie once again. 

For those who are skeptical of the plot of the movie, there is no need. Although the film is easy to follow, it is not a bore. It pokes fun at romantic comedies while becoming one itself, thus appealing to any lover of any genre of movies, and being suitable for anyone.

“Isn’t it Romantic:” ★★★☆☆

Tamar Gewirtz, Writer

Hey, Tamar here! One of my favorite things to do is to travel, especially out of the country, mainly because I love trying new foods and seeing new places....