Cut Through the Noise: G-Eazy, D.R.A.M, Lil Uzi Vert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Welcome to “Cut Through the Noise,” a new column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering new music releases. Every week, a different Echo staffer will take on the role as writer, reviewing recent releases aiming for success.

Fair use from RCA Records.

“Summer in December” – G-Eazy ★★★★
Last Thursday, Gerald Gillum, known professionally as G-Eazy, continued his trend of teasing fans with samples from his upcoming album with another new single, “Summer in December.”  On this track, Gillum smartly opts for a slower flow than usual with deep bass and lighter piano featured in the background. Gillum exudes his typical confidence on this record, while also spitting about the struggles of life as an A-list in Los Angeles. On “Summer in December,” Gillum references his struggles as a celebrity with sadness and a lack of fulfillment, keeping consistent with his “sad boy” image.

“Silver Bells (feat. BigBabyMom)”- DRAM ★★★★★

Fair use from Atlantic Records.

In this rebirth of a timeless holiday classic, Shelly Massenburg, known as DRAM, surprised everybody by showcasing his deep, baritone sound unhindered by vocal effects. Ditching a synthesizer for an acoustic guitar and piano, DRAM  proves his raw talent. Just by listening to this track, it seems impossible that it is the same artist on the hooks of such smash hits as “Broccoli” and “Money Machine.” DRAM is joined on this track by his mother, dubbed Big Baby Mom, with whom he achieves some incredible harmonies that truly must be heard to be believed. Although I have seen DRAM with megastars such as Lil Yachty and Juicy J, I must say that no collaboration has had the same power as that with his mother.

Fair use from Atlantic Records.

“Clout”- Lil Uzi Vert ★★★★
Out of nowhere on Tuesday night, Symere Woods, known professionally as Lil Uzi Vert, treated fans to his new single “Clout.” I was initially undecided about this track after hearing the word ‘yuh’ more times than I could count on my fingers and toes, but when his Woods’ flow kicked in, I suddenly had a change of heart. With clever couplets about women and success over a jumpy electric beat, I was hooked by the fourth bar. Although criticisms of this track will inevitably be that it’s too similar to the artist’s previous releases, that fact does not make it any easier to restrain from the replay button on “Clout” just one more time.