Cut Through the Noise: Silk City, Hozier and Kanye West (Week of Sept. 14)

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Jenna Cook

Welcome to “Cut Through the Noise,” an Entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering new music releases. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role as writer, reviewing recent single releases from a variety of artists.

Fair use from Columbia Records.

Electricity (with Dua Lipa) – Silk City ft. Mark Ronson and Diplo ★★★★☆

Pop singer Dua Lipa, rising in popularity with tracks like “New Rules” and “IDGAF,” has teamed up with Silk City, Mark Ronson, and Diplo to create the ultimate, catchy, teen pop tune. The production of the track compliments Lipa’s outstanding vocal style impeccably. “Electricity” gives another upbeat but chill sound commonly heard in Lipa’s songs but mixes in a nice jazzy piano for a fuller sound. The lyrics, although basic, are catchy and easy to learn, making it a good song to crank up in the car. The team involved in this song did their best to give the public a concise, straightforward and easy to listen to song, and they have succeeded.

Fair use from Rubyworks Records.

Nina Cried Power (feat. Mavis Staples) – Hozier ★★★★★

Hozier returns from a three-year hiatus with a bang, releasing a four-song EP Sept. 6. “Nina Cried Power,” the title track, brings back the Irishman’s classic style. With gospel-type backup vocals and dark bassy instrumentals, he emphasizes the powerful main vocals as the central focus of the track. Deep, thought-provoking lyrics also add to the dimension of the song, suggesting revolution and empowerment. Hozier pays homage to many influential figures in music by calling them all by name, stating they all cried power. The title refers to Nina Simone and her song “Sinnerman.” Hozier also mentions Billie Holiday, Curtis Mayfield, John Lennon and Mavis Staples, who sings a verse of her own on the track. “Nina Cried Power” gives off overwhelmingly ethereal vibes and has already made its way into my regular rotation.

Fair use.

I Love It (& Lil Pump) – Kanye West ★★☆☆☆

Other than a catchy melody and meaningless repetitive lyrics, this song adds little to the music scene. However, its simplicity is almost appealing, especially to fans of Kanye West and Lil Pump. In a climate where diss tracks have skyrocketed in popularity, this track adds nothing except two artists bragging about their sexual habits. Overall, the bassline helps increase the song’s charm, but not by much. Anticipation created from the big names has provided fans with a titanic letdown. If you’re looking for anything with more depth than a kiddie pool, you would be better off taking your efforts elsewhere.

Jenna Cook, Copy Editor
Hi sisters! My name is Jenna and I am a senior as well as one of the Echo’s lovely copy editors this year. My interests include Netflix, trashy YA novels and movies and watching ‘Jeopardy!’ My go-to Starbucks order is a triple grande vanilla latte. I hate being cold but I dislike wearing socks. I...