Cut Through the Noise: Mark Ronson, Zayn, Benny Blanco (Week of Dec. 7)

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Kate Schneider

Welcome to “Cut Through the Noise,” an Entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering new music releases. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role as writer, reviewing recent single releases from a variety of artists.

Fair use from RCA

“Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” — Mark Ronson (feat. Miley Cyrus) ★★★☆☆

While Mark Ronson’s latest single “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” has solid lyrics and Miley Cyrus’s spectacular vocals, it’s not anything special. The track’s beat is very far from Ronson’s past and most popular song “Uptown Funk,” featuring Bruno Mars. While Miley Cyrus sounds amazing, her country style voice does not blend with Ronson’s instrumental. The lyrics revolving around heartbreak are easily relatable. The repetitive nature of both the lyrics and music ruined some of the deeper meaning for me. Overall, it’s a catchy song that could be a great radio hit, but nothing to go out of your way to listen to.

Fair use from RCA

“Rainberry” — Zayn ★★★★★

Zayn’s latest single “Rainberry” continues to showcase his powerful vocals and ability to demonstrate his wide range of vocals with his signature moody vibe. Zayn instantly draws listeners in with his iconic falsettos and continues the song with deeply personal lyrics about his girlfriend keeping secrets from him. Anyone who enjoyed Zayn’s last album “Mind of Mine,” is sure to love “Rainberry” with it’s similar dark yet catchy style. Beyond Zayn’s beautiful lyrics and vocals, the instrumental aspects of the song are also a masterpiece. Zayn’s latest release leaves me looking forward to more amazing songs off his upcoming album “Icarus Falls,” which is set to be released Dec. 14.

Fair use from Friends Keep Secrets and Interscope Records

“Better to Lie” — by Benny Blanco, Jesse and Swae Lee ★★★★☆

Producer Benny Blanco partners up with Jesse and Swae Lee to create an indie rock song, interspersed with rap. Blanco effortlessly combines the contrasting styles of Swae Lee and Jesse to create a cohesive lyrical flow. The conflicting themes of bitter lyrics with an upbeat mood make a very catchy song. Although Jesse’s vocals were exceptional, Swae Lee’s rapping definitely showed room for improvement in terms of the flow and rhythm of his voice. The style of the music and lyrical genius made up for what the song was lacking in. Blanco has been behind the scenes of many great hits in the past, and his third single “Better to Lie” has plenty of top hit potential.

Kate Schneider, Writer

What’s up guys, I’m Kate and I’m a sophomore! I’m going to be writer this year and in my spare time (everyday) I’m in the pool swimming. My favorite...