Cut Through the Noise: Lana Del Ray, Laura Marano, WALK THE MOON (Week of Jan. 18)

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Samantha Klepfer

Welcome to “Cut Through the Noise,” an entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering new music releases. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role as writer, reviewing recent single releases from a variety of artists.

Fair use from Interscope records

“hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have — but I have it” – Lana Del Rey ★★★★☆

Lana Del Rey’s newest single “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have — but I have it,” is a continuation of her signature indie style. Del Rey’s practically naked vocals, along with a single piano part create an eerie vibe. The echoed vocals sung like they were recorded in an empty cathedral are absolutely goosebump-inducing and showcased completely by the stripped-down structure and instrumentals. The melody is heartbreakingly simple in its elegance. Del Rey’s lyrics revolving around her emotional turmoil are incredible and the entire track makes for a fantastic commentary on society. Though very laid back, the song still builds to a decent climax throughout. With the extremely personal lyrics, the very plain vocals, and the super simplistic backing, the entire track feels incredibly intimate.

Fair use from RCA Records

“Let Me Cry” – Laura Marano ★★★☆☆

Laura Marano’s second single as an independent artist, “Let Me Cry is an underwhelming breakup tune. In contrast, the lyrics paired with the floating melody are heart-wrenching and very personal making the track not a complete waste of time. Marano’s vocals are gorgeous and fit the heartbreak vibe to a tee. The lyrics are good, but they fall short of being true poetry. The piano and uncomplicated melody add to the tear-inducing poignancy. “Let Me Cry” is stripped pretty bare, and maybe that’s why it fails to build to anything during it’s three and a half minute run time. Though the song is pretty enjoyable, it’s pretty unoriginal and very passe, based on a breakup and using a fair amount of production for such a simplistic idea.

Fair use from RCA Records

“Timebomb” – WALK THE MOON ★★★★☆

Timebomb” by WALK THE MOON starts out strong with a great guitar riff. The second the vocals kick in the song begins to give off serious 2002 Maroon 5 vibes. The lyrics are well written though kind of plain. The track is very upbeat a nice change of pace and mood from most songs lately. Though the song contains a fair amount of different elements, they all complement each other most of the time. A highlight of the track is the use of a vocoder a machine that gives vocals a robotic tone, according to Roland on the vocals in the bridge. The auxiliary percussion hits the spot including a bit where it imitates the sound of a ticking time bomb behind the vocals. With a fun melody and a buoyant air, “Timebomb is perfect for singing along at the top of your lungs in the car.

Samantha Klepfer, Writer

Hi my name is Samantha Klepfer and I am a writer and editor for the Echo. I like chocolate and books. I also play volleyball and I like to watch Netflix....