‘American Vandal’ goes beyond immature humor

Second season lives up to previous

Fair use from Netflix

Fair use from Netflix

Fair use from Netflix

Fair use from Netflix

Abby Intveld

Leading up to the release of season two, I was nervous that “American Vandal” wouldn’t live up to the success of its first season. But within the first five minutes of the show, I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed.

“American Vandal” season two follows the student detectives Sam Ecklund (Griffin Gluck) and Peter Maldonado (Tyler Alvarez), investigating yet another potentially falsely accused student of a practical joke. The fictional school, St. Bernardine, was the victim of the practical joke labeled the Brown Out, causing students to defecate uncontrollably when the self-proclaimed and anonymous “Turd Burglar” added laxatives to the cafeteria’s popular lemonade.

Fecal humor is often hit or miss, but this show manages to make it hilarious. The eight episodes had me audibly laughing alone in my room at night, a feat not often attained by other shows I have watched. The humor in “American Vandal” is anything but crappy.

Not only is the plot incredibly entertaining, the characters are amazing themselves. Kevin McClain (Travis Tope), the accused perpetrator of the Brown Out, is both lovable and frustrating. He’s a confusing character, one that leaves viewers unsure on whether or not he pulled the prank. Kevin brings a worthwhile conflict to the story by confusing and partially winning over fellow characters. DeMarcus Tillman (Melvin Gregg), another possible culprit, plays the popular basketball star of his private Catholic school. He brings both hilarity and a valuable conversation regarding race and privilege in a comedic setting.

Despite the ridiculous premise, this season is comparatively more serious than the previous. “American Vandal” displays the intelligence of the writers by adding social commentary on false confessions. The show offers insight into how investigators will manipulate an interview to get the answer they desire, especially regarding minors.

This show highlights aspects of high school any student can relate to. It brings attention to the insecurities of teenagers and the constant pressures placed upon them. The show also features pop culture references that are so intricately woven in that it’ll have viewers both applauding the intelligence and laughing at the relatable humor.

“American Vandal” season two adds fast-paced and partially childish humor to the mockumentary show in addition to the important conversation of crimes and accusations of minors. If students are looking for an entertaining show during the school year, I would highly recommend watching this series.

“American Vandal:” ★★★★★

Abby Intveld, Managing Editor

Hey folks!!! I’m Abby Intveld and I’m a senior and a managing editor for the Echo. My best friend is my golden retriever Beau and we love going for...