‘Night School’ makes the grade as a fun comedy

New movie sets focus on graduation

Fair use from Universal Studios

Fair use from Universal Studios

Fair use from Universal Studios

Fair use from Universal Studios

Mira Malka

When I went into the movie, I expected to see another typical comedy movie without much of a storyline. But by the time I left, I was pleasantly surprised.

“Night School” follows a young Teddy (Kevin Hart), who is a witty high schooler. In the beginning, it shows him struggling in high school and he eventually decides to drop out of school. The movie then goes on to show Teddy in the present. After losing his job, Teddy faces struggles of finding employment without a high school diploma. Because of this Teddy decides to go back to school to earn his GED. His return to school brings with it a lot of comedic twists and turns.

I really liked how the director developed the character and personalities of the students and with each one having their own story. Teddy’s character went from being a jokester to becoming a more serious guy. As he became more vulnerable, I felt that we get to know him better and he became more likable.

Teddy’s lavish lifestyle of driving a fancy car, wearing fancy clothes and being engaged to a successful woman are to cover his sense of failure by not finishing high school. As we see Teddy’s character develop, he becomes more likable to the viewer and his acting makes you want to cheer him on. I felt that at that point of the movie I started to enjoy the story more as it went from a little cheesy to more heart-warming.

Teddy’s night school teacher, Carrie (Tiffany Haddish), begins to motivate and push Teddy in creative ways. These ways are what make up a large comedic portion of the movie. Carrie was one of my favorite characters in the movie because she reminded me of the teacher every high schooler wishes they had. Carrie’s character really makes the movie because she had a strong influence on Teddy’s achievements. The exchanges between her and Teddy are what makes the movie great and especially hilarious.

Although some might say that “Night School” was a corny comedy, it did a good job of entertaining and using humor to focus on a serious subject that affects many people. The movie kept my attention and made me laugh. In the end, the movie was uplifting, inspiring and successfully delivered the message to not give up and that it is never too late to achieve your dreams.

“Night School” will be released on DVD Jan. 1, 2019 and on Amazon Sept. 27, 2019.

“Night School:” ★★★☆☆

Mira Malka, Writer

Hello! My name is Mira, I am a sophomore and I am excited to be writing for the Echo this year. When I am not at school, you can find me listening to music,...