Movie documentary demonstrates struggles, success

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ follows life of Freddie Mercury, Queen

Fair use from 20th Century Fox

Fair use from 20th Century Fox

Fair use from 20th Century Fox

Fair use from 20th Century Fox

Mira Malka

Although Freddie Mercury has been gone for almost 27 years, his story remains relevant today. “Bohemian Rhapsody” does a fantastic job of touching on difficult topics like sexuality, family dynamics, the AIDS epidemic, and the price of fame.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” opens with the story of Farrokh Bulsara (Rami Malek), a teenage boy living in England with his strict Tanzanian parents and sister. As a lover of music and songwriting, Farrokh finds an opportunity for an abrupt audition to join a local band. One opportunity leads to another and his breathtaking voice leads him to a new name — Freddie Mercury — and a band named Queen.

Throughout the movie, Freddie’s journey of finding his true sexual identity takes many twists and turns. As he continues to focus on his identity, it takes a toll on the band. Although Queen reached many of its goals to make unforgettable music and provide an experience that their fans could engage in, it was not without its ups and downs.

Overall, this film was a total hit. What made this movie so great was the acting. Malek’s portrayal of Freddie Mercury was spot on, from his looks to his mannerisms. Malek made a special connection with Freddie, mirroring his attitude and image, and did a phenomenal job of accomplishing that. I also felt that the movie set the ‘70s tone and did a good job of making the movie feel truly vintage.

The film was not only a tribute to the members of Queen, but also to their music. The film told the story of the band members and how the music was made from idea to process and the long hours in the studio to make it happen.

The fact that high schoolers today recognize Queen songs such as “We Are The Champions,” “Somebody To Love” and “We Will Rock You” is amazing. This shows how legendary and special the band Queen was compared to other bands that come and go. “Bohemian Rhapsody” included a little bit of everything including humor, drama and music tell the story.

In addition to telling the story of Freddie Mercury and Queen, the movie also sent a message about never giving up, believing in yourself and accepting people for who they are. I would recommend watching this movie and you will definitely leave the theater with a Queen song in your head.

“Bohemian Rhapsody:” ★★★★★

Mira Malka, Writer

Hello! My name is Mira, I am a sophomore and I am excited to be writing for the Echo this year. When I am not at school, you can find me listening to music,...