Escape predictability

Mediocre thriller fails to impress

Escape predictability

Fair use from Sony Pictures

Fair use from Sony Pictures

Fair use from Sony Pictures

Fair use from Sony Pictures

Isabel Kjaer

When I first watched the trailer for “Escape Room,” I was intrigued by the concept. Despite this, throughout the movie various aspects left me conflicted on whether I enjoyed the movie or not.

“Escape Room” follows five characters as they adventure through a tricky invite-only escape room where each room targets one of the characters’ trauma.

Although interesting, the characters fell into typical horror movie stereotypes. There was a rich man, a smart girl, a slob, the “tough one,” and the nerd. It seemed as though every sentence the characters said only dug them deeper into their unoriginal personality types.

In spite of this, I thought the movie was well-casted. The actors seemed to fit the roles, and there was a fair amount of diversity. That is, diversity that continued throughout the entire film.

I felt like I was correctly predicting everything that happened, and it seemed like I had already seen the entire movie.”

An up side of the movie was the beautifully designed sets. I felt as though every detail had been taken into consideration, leaving intricate and thoughtful surroundings. Some of the sets pulled me right into the scene.

Sadly, the film was terribly predictable. The opening scene showing a flash to the future revealed far too many secrets about the plot. After seeing the trailer in addition to the very first scene, I felt like I was correctly predicting everything that happened, and it seemed like I had already seen the entire movie.

Additionally, the ending left a horrible last impression because it had no conclusion as the movie so obviously and shamelessly set up for a sequel. Despite enjoying the rest of the movie, as I walked out I felt unsatisfied because of the ending.

Ultimately, what really ruined the movie for me was the cliché characters, predictability, and the ending. The film started with an original concept, yet never truly followed through and took advantage of its options. It simply never had the wow factor. Aside from that, “Escape Room” was entertaining and fairly well thought out.

Isabel Kjaer, Design Editor

Whats brackin bruh? I am named Isabel. Yo soy el editor de diseño. I act really confident about design but really I don’t know much, and usually ask...