Discussion opened about intersectionality

Senior leads feminism club in new conversation

Senior+Olivia+Massie+presents+about+intersectionality+at+the+feminism+club+meeting+Nov.+21.+After+her+presentation%2C+members+further+discussed+the+topic+and+how+to+give+input+in+the+community.+
Senior Olivia Massie presents about intersectionality at the feminism club meeting Nov. 21. After her presentation, members further discussed the topic and how to give input in the community.

Katie Hardie

Katie Hardie

Marta Hill

Senior Olivia Massie said she feels it is important for everyone to know what intersectionality means and how it could affect their view of the world.

Massie said her definition of intersectionality involves all of the characteristics that might lead to oppression.

“(Intersectionality is) the framework to describe the multiple ways in which gender, sexuality, race, religion (and) class all intersect and how they are all related (into one big) oppressive system,” Massie said.

Weinstein said intersectionality is important because everyone has their own perspective.

“We have to acknowledge that people are coming from a lot of different perspectives than ours, and it can be really dangerous when we only look at things through our own view,” Weinstein said.

According to Massie, intersectionality can help people understand how different levels of oppression meet and interact with each other.

“This framework provides insight into how the different layers of oppression intersect, and how they meet at an intersection,” Massie said. “It is important to acknowledge these different identities.”Sophomore Eitan Weinstein said intersectionality is important because oppression can pile up on one community.

“(There) are a lot of people, especially women, who are pushed under the rug and for many of them, it’s not only because they are women, it’s because of their race,” Weinstein said. “It’s especially important that we push extra hard to acknowledge (everyone’s) struggles.”

Massie said that intersectionality can be explained as an intersection.

“At an intersection there are multiple roads that meet. The different roads all represent gender, race, sexuality or other things like that,” Massie said. “The cars driving on those roads are policies and different societal norms, everything that is a part of the oppression of those certain identities.”

According to Weinstein, it is important that other boys come to feminism club meetings and learn because the more people the more opportunity for change.

“I think a lot of boys view (feminism club) just as a girls thing, which is really a problem because it’s an issue that affects everyone; if everyone takes a stand for it, then it can have much greater impact,” Weinstein said.  

For further information on when the Feminism club will be meeting, visit their Facebook page  @Feminism Club 2017/18