Book club meets to examine change taught through text

Club explores early 19th century customs through Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen’s tale of a woman finding herself through love brings students together at the book club meeting to discuss the change they’ve seen in the culture they’re submersed in today.

Book club leader Ellen George said she thinks the novel is important for students at this age to understand the way society’s expectations have evolved.

“I think the way Austen portrays Elizabeth Bennet’s struggle is very relatable for students and is an important thing to read to develop a broader understanding of the way society has evolved,” George said.

In addition to the novel being about coming of age and a critique of society’s expectations, the 2005 movie starring Colin Firth.

Junior Maria Brandel said she found Pride and Prejudice to be inspiring and relatable.

“Even though the story takes place in the 18th century, I still saw similarities to the challenges women face today,” Brandel said.

The book club will meet after school Jan. 30 in the main room of the Media Center. Pizza will be provided and the 2005 remake of Pride and Prejudice will be screened before school at 7:30 am Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 in the back room. All are welcome to attend.