All-year reunion to highlight Park history

Festivities to focus on family fun, renewing old connections

Although senior and Park Ambassador Morgan MacDonald normally only reconnects with recent Park graduates, she will soon have the opportunity to socialize with alumni dating back to 1939.

The St. Louis Park Public Schools Foundation (SLPPSF) is planning an all-year reunion from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 25. The event will take place at the high school, Central Community Center and surrounding facilities including the track, tennis courts and stadium.

According to SLPPSF Events Manager Joan Brinkman, about 500 graduates from 1939 to 2012 have already confirmed their attendance.

“The more people who come, the greater chance alumni will have to reconnect,” Brinkman said. “This event will revitalize community spirit because it is a great feeling to be a part of St. Louis Park history and continue its legacy.”

To represent this history and legacy, Brinkman said many of the festivities are meant to stir up memories and showcase graduates. Some of the events include an alumni talent show featuring Grammy Award-winning guitarist Sharon Isbin and a silent auction with goods made by teachers, old furniture from school buildings and unique donations.

Park alum and owner of M & T’s Munchies Todd Schumacher said he is most excited to see people from different classes and to attend the talent show.

“I think the vibe will be an upbeat and happy one,” he said. “I’m proud to be a Park grad. I live here, work here and stayed here. Park pride is pretty cool.”

With about 12 events going on during the reunion, Brinkman said many volunteers are still needed to run club tables, serve food, give tours, help set up and tear down the event and more.

“For starters, we have one thousand gift bags that need to be filled,” she said.

MacDonald said she will be volunteering and giving groups tours of the high school during the reunion.

“I’m really excited to meet others who have attended or are attending Park and make connections with them,” MacDonald said.

According to Brinkman, the reunion is a great opportunity for current students to volunteer and catch a glimpse of Park history.

“They need to catch the Park fever,” she said. “It is the feeling that will be present at the reunion and is something for future grads to experience.”

Students or community members wishing to volunteer at the reunion should contact Joan Brinkman as soon as possible at [email protected]. Students can earn volunteer hours by participating.

For more information or to register for the reunion, go to slppsf.org. Tickets are $10 for alumni and free for friends, family and students. All proceeds from the reunion go toward funding school grants in math, science, reading, the arts and transitional programs.