Learning Lab improves involvement

Programs continue from last year with continued success and renewed energy for improvement

Although no new programs have been added to the Learning Lab this year, turnout has not been a problem.

According to Rachel Hoffman, the Learning Lab Logistics Coordinator, the new Tuesday and Thursday schedules have greatly helped.

“Students are taking advantage of the extra time before school,” Hoffman said. “The math room is always busy. It’s a good thing.”

The Learning Lab has been offering help in specific courses and with an arrangement of support groups for two years now. After finishing the first month of school, programs are now preparing for action. Many of the teachers and staff, that are still there, have been in charge of their groups since their start.

Oscar Reed has been the head of two groups, YODA, and Boys to Men, for about 9 years now. Both have just begun activities for the school year this week.

For newcomers, Reed defines his two programs, as both confidence and community building meetings.

“It’s about strengthening the school community,” Reed said. “Building relationships and a safe environment both physically and emotionally.”

Reed, a former NFL Viking, emphasized the importance of the group as promoting acceptance and socialization in the Senior High.

“The method we use is called ‘restorative justice’,” Reed said. “One process is the ‘circle’ where we from guidelines to facilitate conversation.”

In accordance to these guidelines students take turns speaking, with no interruptions, and must speak the absolute truth while maintaining kindness.

The teachers have been successful in making quality programs but struggle with their number of educators.

One complaint that has become common about the Learning Lab has been the lack of educators available. Junior Avril Bowling said that the lab was working well, but that the shortage of teachers made some programs difficult.

“(The Learning Lab is) a real busy place,” said Bowling. “You never get all the help you need.”

Junior Tenzin Lhanze said she agreed.

“We need more teachers,” said Lhanze. “That’s for sure.”

Both Bowling and Lhanze use the learning lab for help in multiple subjects, mainly math and science.

Senior Hila Kadosh said that other future improvements should involve the lab’s surroundings.

“I think that we should have more private space to work,” Kadosh said. “It’s a great place, but they have to make it so that students are free to work on whatever.”