Texting causes dangerous distractions

Juniors+Avril+Bowling%2C+Brian+OConnor%2C+Alexander+Palamtier%2C+Max+Rapp+show+how+often+students+text+while+walking.+
Alex Rozman
Juniors Avril Bowling, Brian O’Connor, Alexander Palamtier, Max Rapp show how often students text while walking.

Phones put pedestrians at risk

Alongside the countless reports admonishing drivers for texting behind the wheel, recent accidents suggest that distracted walking is yet another peril facing the technologically inclined.

While no data exists to accurately compile the exact number of car accidents caused by or injuring texting pedestrians, the problem has grown in magnitude in the last seven years, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This spike points to an increase in phone function, making texting a quick and easy means of communication for cell users.

Junior Thomas Djerf, who has seen videos of multitasking pedestrians being hit by oncoming cars, said he thinks the recent jump in texting related incidents is the product of a larger issue.

“We’re becoming obsessed with our phones and this is what’s happening,” Djerf said. “You’d have to be really focused in on what you were texting to not notice a huge car coming at you.”

Djerf’s view is shared by law enforcement officials around the country who have urged pedestrians to concentrate on maintaining safety by being aware of their surroundings when walking in public. In the town of Fort Lee, N.J., police are now issuing tickets to people who put themselves in danger by jaywalking while texting. However, no such legislature has been passed in Minnesota.

Senior Hayley Sperling said while she hopes a solution is found for the issue facing the media obsessed, she doubts that any laws would reduce the amount of texting pedestrians do while walking.

“I see it all the time, people walking into things or not looking where they are going,” Sperling said. “In the end, it’s just about not being stupid and looking up from your phone.”