Modified lunch schedule creates confusion

After immense changes to the lunch program, the schedule still needs further revision.

The new lunchroom changes increased the seating capacity, allowing for three lunch periods instead of four overlapping times. The lunchroom also features enhanced security, preventing students from entering the cafeteria until lunch begins and leaving until it ends.

Although there is a passing period for students with first and third lunch, this year’s lunch schedule does not allow for a passing period for students after second lunch.

The editorial board believes the schedule should be changed to provide students with second lunch passing time to return to class.

We suggest addressing this problem by moving the five minute passing period before second lunch to after the lunch period.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday second lunch would last from 12:30-12:55 p.m. and class would begin at 1 p.m. On Tuesday and Thursday second lunch would be from 12:32-12:57 p.m. with a five minute passing period back to class.

This schedule revision wouldn’t change the length of lunch or the class period and gives students the chance to make it back to class.

The editorial board believes increased security is an inconvenience but a necessary policy.

In previous years, students loitered in halls during fifth hour. The new security keeps students out of the halls. Also, these changes improve the learning environment of classes in session by decreasing noise levels in halls. The new policy will help staff keep track of students, as students can be located because they’re either in class or the lunchroom.

The editorial board agrees removing the passing period before second lunch and moving it to after the lunch period would improve students punctuality to class. Additionally, the board further argues that the additional security, although drastic, will increase safety and enhance Park’s learning environment.

It’s important for the student body’s voice to be heard. Expressing concern to the administration about the lack of a passing period after second lunch is a productive way to initiate change. At the same time, students can convey their support for the increased security.