Junior signs with National Guard

Serving creates chance to give back

After signing with the National Guard, junior Aprille Lopac shakes hands with a representative Feb. 13. Lopac said she decided to join the National Guard because she wants to have a purpose as she decides on a career path.

Used with written permission from Aprille Lopac

Alec Pittman

Sitting with her family, junior Aprille Lopac considered what she would do with her future. The National Guard seemed the right choice for her.

Lopac said she decided to join the National Guard in the second week of January.

“It was a really quick decision,” Lopac said. “I started looking into it Dec. 20 and signed up the 13th of January.”

Kimberle Smith, Aprille’s mother, said she supported Aprille in her decision from the start.

“I went with her to the first meeting at the recruiting office,” Smith said. “I watched her reactions and could tell that she was very interested.”

According to Lopac, signing with the National Guard gives her time to decide what to do after high school.

“ I feel that it is a good opportunity. I know I want to go to college but I am not sure what I want to do there or after,” Lopac said. “This will give me some purpose while I figure out what I want to do.”

Smith said she has high hopes for Lopac and her future.

“I see this as a great opportunity for her to grow. She will gain skills in her National Guard job while going to college for a career of her choice,” Smith said. “She could also continue in the officer training program.”

Lopac said she took tests to determine if she could qualify for the National Guard before joining.

“To qualify you must go through Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) which is a two-day process. The first day you take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), which is like the SAT of military,” Lopac said. “The second day you go through all the medical processing, which is where they check to see if you are physically able to participate.”

According to Smith, Lopac possesses a sense of adventure, making her a good fit for the National Guard.

“Aprille works hard and sticks at what she believes in and sticks to commitments. Both her and the National Guard will benefit from her service,” Smith said. “She’d be a great leader in the right role.”

Lopac said she retains key principles which present an opportunity for her in the National Guard.