Gymnastics flips into season

Team focuses on improvement, tradition

As the girls’ gymnastics season starts off, junior Maya Raz hopes this year will be filled with higher scores, entertaining bonding events and a giant 25-pound nut roll.

Practices for the 2012-2013 season began Nov. 12 as the team started preparing for its first meet at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 13 at home against St. Francis. In addition, members such as Raz are excited for the numerous team traditions and the possibility of getting the nut roll.

According to senior captain Sarah Silbert, the team sets a goal for the number of points scored at each meet. Last season, the goal was 120 points per meet. This season, the team hopes to achieve even more points.

“We were successful last year because we scored at least 120 points at every meet,” she said. “(We want to) break 125 points this year. I know we can do that.”
In addition to hopes for higher scores, Silbert said she is excited for the numerous team events including the possibility of getting a large nut role.

“This year we really want to win the 25 pound nut role at the Minnesota Girls’ Gymnastics Officials Association Invitational,” she said. “You have to buy raffle tickets for it and we have never won before.”

According to Raz, silly bonding events such as the nut roll, team sleepover and big sister/little sister are key to the team’s success and can contribute to higher scoring.

“We get a lot of energy from each other,” she said. “Teammates and bonding activities cheer us up and help us perform better as individuals and as a whole.”