Supporting Park athletics, peers

This has been a special year so far for Park sports

Supporting Park athletics, peers

Jacob Stillman

So far this year has been an exceptional one for Park sports.

A football Section championship and State appearance, a boys’ soccer conference title and Section runner-up and conference runner-ups for girls’ swimming, soccer and tennis were achieved by the fall sports teams.

Success at State for boys’ swimming, a great record and season for boys’ hockey, and Section victories for both girls’ and boys’ basketball highlighted the winter.

For someone like me who loves to support Park athletics, this year has been enjoyable.

Not only have our sports teams exceled, but they have also entertained in ways I have never experienced in my high school career.

Park’s 13-12 nailbiter victory over Robbinsdale-Cooper in the section 5AAAAA championship gave us our first State tournament berth in 45 years and was unforgettable for those of us watching from the student section on that snowy night.

I will always remember storming the field and celebrating with the team following that win.

Having a student section at a game, whether it is home or away, is always an advantage for Park.”

— Jacob Stillman

Although the next game resulted in a loss in the first round of State, the excitement leading up to the game and the bus trip up to St. Cloud, fans and atmosphere at the game was truly memorable.

I will remember Park boys hockey team’s victory over Benilde-St. Margaret’s in the first round of Sections this year.

From an anticipatory start to exhilarating finish, I was on edge in one of the best sports games I have seen, culminating in a game winning goal with less than 30 seconds left. For me, both of these events were witnessed from the student section, the best place to show support at these thrilling games.

When I am not participating in a sport, I have loved being in student sections, where I can cheer on my peers.

Having a student section at a game, whether it is home or away, is always an advantage for Park.

So far, this year has provided our school with some pretty unique sports moments, none of which I will be forgetting soon. We should not take those moments for granted, as we do not know when our school will have another one of these experiences.

If the fall and winter season are any indicator for the upcoming season, all I can say is I can’t wait for spring.

Jacob Stillman, Sports Editor

Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, your co-sports editor. People often confuse me with Shaquille O’Neal and Michael Jordan because of our shared dunking...