Furthering discussion towards progress

January 12, 2022

Implementing the issues brought up into classrooms is just one way that students and staff hope walkouts and forums can be a productive outcome of student advocacy. While Knudson said she feels that walkouts and other advocacy initiatives are beneficial, she said she hopes to see those important discussions translate to school-wide conversations that include administration. 

“I wish there was more that we were doing as teachers (and) that admin was doing to open dialogues more because while the walkout happened, there was not a lot of follow up or support spaces that I’ve seen, which (is) kind of disappointing, we need to do better as the adults of the building,” Knudson said. “That was time for us as adults to make the next move to keep it going, to foster that and to keep talking.”

Overall said during these conversations, although having administration present can be valuable, there are times when these open spaces should be free from intrusions. 

“A lot of times (administration) feel like they need to be there and they need to be present. There’s different times where we do want them to hear our voices, but I think also (it’s important) having people be more comfortable in the space,” Overall said. 

For Mainjeni, student voices are influential and moving forward she believes that their suggestions should play a key role at Park. 

“Rather than just saying, ‘hey, I’m going to listen to you guys,’ also include and really take into consideration what the students are saying, even if that might sound like a stretch compared to other things,” Mainjeni said. “Really take into consideration what the students think because just saying you’re going to listen isn’t enough.”