Commencement ceremony to occur June 5

Seniors, speakers prepare for graduation

Dani Orloff and Sam St. Clair

According to Principal Scott Meyers, the graduation ceremony will be held at 7:30 p.m. June 5 and the location is not yet known.  

“Weather permitting, it will be in the stadium. It could also be in our old gym and the auditorium, because that’s where the tickets are for,” Meyers said.

Meyers said bad weather limits the number of people able to attend the ceremony.

“Each graduate gets a certain number of tickets for the auditorium and a certain number for the gym,” Meyers said. “In the gym, it’s cast up on the screen because there is just not enough space for everybody in the old gym.”

Senior Caleb Mesick said in preparation for the ceremony, the senior class attended multiple meetings.

“We had a few senior meeting throughout the year, so that just helped us prepare for getting our caps and gowns and plan for getting our grades turned in and getting all of our teachers to sign off so we can actually graduate,” Mesick said. “So, they actually did help a lot.”

Senior Jeffery Robinson Jr. said he worked hard in his classes to prepare for this occasion.   

“For graduation, I would just say just keeping my grades up and getting the permit done on time (are important), and getting work done on time,” Robinson said.

According to Meyers, the graduation ceremony will feature numerous student speakers, including valedictorians Annabella Strathman, Ella Trotter, Alex Balfour, Mimi Fhima, Caroline Green, Shoshana Altman and William Phelan.

“It’s valedictorians, class presidents, or president, because we’ve had co-presidents in the past, and a student usually introduces the distinguished alumni,” Meyers said. “They are working to verify their speeches right now. They usually work with the assistant principal to verify their speeches.”

According to the graduation pamphlet, student council president Sophie Yarosh will speak, as well as senior Hayley Erickson, who will be presenting the Distinguished Alumni Award. Co-founder of PACER Center Paula Goldberg will be receiving the Distinguished Alumni Award, according to the pamphlet.    

According to Meyers, the exact number of graduating seniors this year is not yet known.

“I know that are anticipating it being around 350 students, which is one of the bigger classes we’ve had recently,” Meyers said. “I can’t give you the exact number because obviously, there are still students that are processing grades and whatnot.”

Robinson said he looks forward to the festivities following the commencement ceremony.

“It’s just a big day in general and the senior all night party is a big thing too,” Robinson said.

Mesick said he is eager to graduate high school and begin the next chapter of his academic career.

“I am very excited. I’m just tired of being at the high school,” Mesick said.

Dani Orloff, Editor-in-Chief

Hey guys! My name is Dani and I’m the Editor-in-Chief this year! When I am not devoting my time to Echo, you can find me in the kitchen training to become a future Food Network star.  Bobby Flay has nothing on me. I also love to binge watch whatever is on Netflix, especially The Office and Friends. If you don’t see me in the hall, look down because my friends claim that I tend to be “vertically challenged.”

Sam St. Clair, Managing Editor

Hey girly I’m Sam St. Clair ✌️just your everyday Managing editor. I’m totally quirky, but now that quirky is trendy I’m an “edgy” quirky teen, if that makes any sense. I enjoy drinking coffee, but I don’t like getting the jitters so I drink hot chocolate instead. Also, I was basically in the same room at Beyoncé this summer…just saying. You can always find me in the back room being the design queen I am, making videos in the broadcast room and spilling all the tea. See you on the flip side 😉