Series revival fails to bring closure

Iconic mother-daughter duo returns to Stars Hollow

Maggie Bahnson

Airing in May 2007, the last episode of the iconic “Gilmore Girls” left fans with many unanswered questions. Almost 10 years later, Netflix released four 90-minute episodes called “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.” While created to answer the questions viewers had after the seven year series, I felt as if the revival only raised more unfinished business.

After a decade, seeing all the characters back in Stars Hollow was a surreal moment. Despite all the drastic changes, it was exciting to see the characters evolve into a new plot. Throughout the four episodes, the unexpected hardships only go to show even the presumably perfect life of the Gilmore Girls has its ups and downs just like ours — revealing a realistic side to the family.

Within the 10 years, cast member Edward Herrmann who plays Rory’s grandfather, unfortunately passed away, leaving Rory’s grandmother, Emily Gilmore a widow in the revival.

In a show filled with such powerful and independent women, it was sad to see Emily so lost without her husband. Instead of maintaining her social life, Emily instead attempts to fill her home with unnecessary purchases to fill the void.

Throughout the original seven seasons, Rory Gilmore’s life had always been rather perfect. While working hard, she graduated at the top of her highly competitive class, was the editor for her high school newspaper, got accepted into Yale and Harvard and still managed to have a love life with her numerous high school and college boyfriends. However, in this revival we see Rory not as content with her life. Throughout the four episodes, Rory has an unstable job, lacks a permanent place to call home and relentlessly continues a faulty relationship with Logan Huntzberger, who is engaged to someone else.

Also, for the first time in a while, we see Rory paranoid and stressed-out. From the start of the revival, Rory carries three smartphones — juggling her work, personal and love life. Throughout the series, Rory travels back and forth from London, living a double life. This chaotic lifestyle contrasts with the simple and laid-back characteristics of Stars Hollow, making her not fit in as well as she used to. Rory has such high expectations for herself, and knows she can’t be successful in the journalism world by staying in the quaint Stars Hollow.

Being filmed a decade later, I naturally expected technological advancements to be weaved into the plot, but these modifications changed the atmosphere of the show for the worse. Stars Hollow didn’t feel the same, and I got nostalgic for the innocent charm the town once held.

Having never been on team Logan, my favorite part of the series occurred when former boyfriend Jess Marino surprised Rory in Stars Hollow. Refreshingly, a silver lining appears for Rory as Jess inspires her to take a break from the hectic journalism career and to consider writing a book about her unique mother-daughter relationship.

The last episode of the revival surprisingly comes full circle, giving a sentimental and nostalgic ending to the Gilmore Girls era. Despite all Rory’s lifestyle changes, seeing the dynamic duo of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore was definitely the highlight of my Thanksgiving weekend.

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life 6/10

Maggie Bahnson