‘Revamped’ is pretty amped

Lovato gives new life to old hits
Fair use from Genius

Demi Lovato is an American singer, songwriter and actress. Since releasing their first album in 2008, Lovato has continued creating and putting out music. 

Lovato started their career as a pop artist, but when putting out their album “Holy Fvck” in 2022, Lovato took a step into rock music. Lovato released their newest album “REVAMPED” on Sept. 15. “REVAMPED” consists of 10 of Lovato’s hit songs from earlier in their career and they have brought new life to. These songs were re-recorded in rock versions. Lovato said, “Creating this project has been incredibly fun and allowed me to express my passion for rock music in a new way.” 

The album features songs that are somewhat edgy and grungy. It was Lovato’s goal to create rock music, but personally, I hear the same pop vibe with extra background noise. Some songs like “Cool for the Summer” and “Sorry Not Sorry” followed through on the rock music aspect, and were fun to listen to. However, songs like “La La Land,” “Skyscraper” and “Don’t Forget” were slower songs with the addition of drums. In the song “La La Land,” Lovato sings, “Well, some may say I need to be afraid of losing everything. Because of where I had my start and, where I made my name.” The lyrics all help to tell the story of the person Lovato is today. The beats are all funky and upbeat.

“Heart Attack” is the first song on the album for a good reason. Being one of Lovato’s all time hits, the revamped version holds up to par. The fast beat and great vocals make the song punchy and fun. 

“Confident” is a song that has a great message. It portrays self love and being confident in yourself. It tells a story about insecurity and just how far confidence can go. The song flows nicely and the added rock aspect helps to ascend the vibe of confidence. 

“Give Your Heart A Break” is my all time favorite Demi Lovato song. It has stayed my favorite song on the “REVAMPED” album as well. The vocals are outstanding and it’s such a fun beat that helps to accelerate the song and add more energy to it. The lyrics “there’s just one life to live and there’s no time to wait to waste so let me give your heart a break” show the highs and lows of taking a chance on a relationship in a heartfelt way. It’s a tune that you find yourself moving along with the music. 

Demi Lovato’s album “REVAMPED” was exactly what I expected. I went in not loving the rock aspect but liking some Demi Lovato. Most songs are easy to listen to and have great rhythm and beats. It’s super cool that they took the 10 songs that resonated most with their fans and put a spin on them. 

Not only is this album fun and upbeat, it also presents a new aspect of re-recording music to make the content fit Lovato and their newfound love for making rock music. This album was a great way for Lovato to pay tribute to songs that helped them to get to where they are today, but present a new aspect of themself. The songs show Lovato’s passion for rock music. 

“REVAMPED”: ★★★★☆