‘The Exorcist: Believer’ will keep you up at night

A dark and twisted horror film
Fair use from IMDb

As fall approaches, many people enjoy watching scary horror movies. Horror fans are excited to come and watch this film since there hasn’t been an “Exorcist” movie released in over 15 years. “The Exorcist: Believer,” which came out Oct. 6, follows two young girls who end up getting possessed by the devil.

There have been multiple different “Exorcist” movies in the past, and they all have one thing in common: each victim ends up getting possessed by the devil. In “The Exorcist: Believer,” there are two friends who become possessed. In this film there are two families. There are two main characters Katherine (Olivia O’Neill) and Angela (Lidya Jewett). Then the single father of Angela named Victor (Leslie Odom Jr.). Then there is Katherines parents, Miranda (Jennifer Nettles) and Tony (Norbert Leo Butz). I have to say I have never heard of any of these actors before, but they did surprise me, especially the kids who were very talented and have a bright future in the movie industry.

For the start of “The Exorcist: Believer,” the two girls decide to wander off into the woods after school where they end up going missing. The parents of the children make a big deal of this and have the town searching for the kids. This is where the film takes a dark turn. Three days later they are found, but something has changed — they both thought they were only gone for a couple hours instead of three days. As the next few days go by, their behavior becomes very strange and peculiar. It only gets worse and worse and it eventually becomes violent. The parents realize whatever happened when they were gone is definitely not normal.

One of the things I liked about “The Exorcist: Believer” was the build up. They started with two innocent children getting possessed, then the suspense started to build, where the children started doing creepy things and acting weird and violent. It got more and more intense and severe throughout the movie until it was out of control and needed to be stopped. At the end of the movie it was very enjoyable to see all the suspense and chaos unfold.

I also have to say they did a pretty good job on the visual effects and CGI. I liked how they made the gory scenes seem really realistic, like when one of the characters broke their neck. They also did a good job at the girls’ costumes and makeup when they were possessed. That part truly added more fear to the film.

Another thing I liked about “The Exorcist: Believer” was the end of the movie in general. With all the suspense built up, it really had me at the edge of my seat. The ending sequence was definitely the scariest part of the film, with the most gruesome and creepy scenes of the entire movie that were enjoyable to watch. There was also a crazy plot twist that really blew my mind and was completely unexpected in the end.

While there were positives of “The Exorcist: Believer,” I would say it has its negatives too. For example, it took so long for the movie to get going. It wasn’t until about halfway through the film where the plot really started. It was very boring to sit through with nothing significant really happening until later on in the film. But I do have to say once it got to that part, I did become more interested in the movie.

Another negative was it just wasn’t that scary. The whole movie there were barely any jump scares or real scary scenes. It took basically the entire movie to get to the scary part, which wasn’t very scary at all. There were only a couple scary scenes throughout the whole movie and I was expecting to see more.

Overall, I’d say “The Exorcist: Believer” was just alright. There was good suspense and good acting and actually a pretty good plot. I just didn’t really like the way the horror was shown throughout the movie when I expected a lot more of it. It’s just an average horror movie to watch during the spooky season. 

“The Exorcist: Believer”: ★★☆☆☆