Shop ‘til you drop

The TikTok shop craze
Georgia Hughes

The TikTok shop was launched in Sept. and it has since earned a lot of attention. Different social media platforms have been implementing ways to shop directly through their forum. When one opens the TikTok app it takes them directly to their “for you page.” From there, if they swipe left it will open up the TikTok shop. They will be presented with a wide range of different products. They have everything from clothing and makeup to trampolines and chamoy pickles kits.

What makes TikTok shop stand out for most is their odd prices. Certain items are being sold for even just 50 cents. Some name branded items are being sold for 50% off of their retail price.  For example, Pixi’s “On-the-Glow” blush usually is sold for 18 dollars, but is now being sold for nine dollars on TikTok Shop. Nearly all items being sold through TikTok shop have some sort of discount. Many people have also been offered a 40% off coupon simply for opening the app. Everyone has been enjoying these discounts, but these insanely low prices do present themselves as rather suspicious. It is possible that businesses have seen a decrease in their profit margin due to the fact that business expenses remain the same, but profit has decreased with the new prices. However, there have been independent sellers that have found TikTok shop to be rather profitable.

The big brands that we know and love have been seen all throughout TikTok shop, but this new extension of the app has also provided a space for smaller businesses to launch their product and reach a larger audience. TikTok videos have become an easy and cheap way for brands to advertise their company and increase traffic on their websites. TikTok shop has made this form of advertisement even easier by providing businesses the ability to link their products from TikTok shop directly into their videos. This has made it much easier for customers to access their brand. Another popular form of advertisement are different brand deals through influencers. Companies pay influencers to post about their product and talk about how much they love it. With influencer culture becoming more and more popular, this form of advertising is much more common. Consumerism in America makes us feel that we need the newer and better version of a product. Now with online shopping becoming increasingly accessible, the need to consume has become even greater. A person seeing their favorite influencers with products that they want makes them even more inclined to buy them. This is the entire goal of marketing through influencers. Attaching a familiar face to products makes them more appealing.

Another unsettling aspect about TikTok is its ability to directly target items to a specific person. For a while now TikTok has been using “the algorithm” to put videos on a persons “for you page” that are catered to them. This keeps users in the cycle of scrolling and watching. This tactic is now also being implemented into what is advertised to them. Its goal: convincing them to buy their product. It is always important when using this app, for one, to use it with caution. Limiting the amount of personal information one gives them, alongside understanding their terms and conditions is highly beneficial. There have been multiple stories of shoppers receiving knock-off items or empty boxes. It is important for one to understand the risks when utilizing TikTok shop.

I would agree that TikTok shop is quite appealing — they have a ton of my favorite brands at super low prices, however I don’t think it is a place one should spend their money. The risk seems to be higher than the reward and chances of being ripped-off seems rather pretty high.  Giving them shipping information, card information, etc. does not strike me as very safe, especially considering in the past there have been concerns regarding data protection on TikTok. Due to TikTok’s reputation and the fact that it is unreliable, it would be wiser for a person to shop directly through their desired brands rather than a third party app.

TikTok shop has allowed many new businesses to find their footing and reach new people with their products. TikTok’s new feature offers huge discounts to customers which is very appealing to shoppers. One can now buy their favorite brands for a much lower price. There are many perks of this easily accessible, new online store. However it does not come without risk. Businesses must have experienced decreased profit, increased competition and supply issues. While shoppers have reported scams, unauthentic products and missing orders. This new feature is very exciting for most, but if one plans on entering the TikTok shop craze it is important to approach it with caution and understand the risks associated with it.