The Grammys most memorable moments

The ups and downs of the Grammys
Fair use from The Academy

The 66th Grammy awards took place on Feb. 4 and provided many memorable moments, along with several historic moments. The show was hosted by Trevor Noah, who is a comedian, actor and writer. He kept the show moving along swiftly and smoothly while keeping the audience entertained. Overall, the show went well — however, there were a few unexpected events.

To start off the show, the audience received a performance from singer Dua Lipa. She sang a collection of songs before Trevor Noah commanded everyone’s attention as he introduced some notable guests. For the first televised award, Miley Cyrus won her first ever Grammy for her song “Flowers,” which won Best Pop Solo Performance. After she was presented with her award, the show continued with many live performances throughout the night and various notable wins.

A history-making moment occurred when Taylor Swift won the Grammy for Album of the Year. She earned her fourth Grammy in that category, leading her to be the artist with the most Grammy wins for an album of the year. She also surprised her fans by announcing a new album titled “The Tortured Poets Department,” during her acceptance speech. She plans to release it on April 19.

A performance that I thought was notable was the duet between legend Tracy Chapman and country singer Luke Combs. The two of them sang a duet of the emotional song “Fast Car,” which was written and released by Tracy Chapman in 1988. Luke Combs helped the audience rediscover Chapman’s classic song and was nominated for a Grammy for his cover of the piece. The two singers merged their versions of the song, creating a unique rendition of it — a collaboration that you don’t often get to see.

However, despite all the exciting aspects of the 66th Grammys, like most awards shows, there were also some controversies and unplanned events. One thing that caused controversy was the length of the show. The producers wanted to prevent the audience from getting bored, so they decided not air all the awards and winners. Many people were disappointed that they weren’t able to see an artist that they admire win an award on television. A notable event was that rapper Killer Mike was seen leaving the Grammys in handcuffs due to an altercation with security guards.

Overall, I thought the Grammys were relatively successful, despite a few setbacks. Although I enjoyed watching all the performances, I did feel like there were a few too many and that they unnecessarily interrupted the flow of the show. I felt like Trevor Noah was a fun and entertaining host, and I thought many people won well-deserved awards. While there wasn’t anything overly outstanding about this year’s Grammys, it was still a good show.

66th Grammys: ★★★★☆