Fortnite brings a blast from the past

Fortnite’s return to old ways has brought excitement and fun to its users
Fair use from Epic Games

The video game “Fortnite Battle Royale” has been a popular video game ever since it was released Sept. 27, 2017. Over time, it gained millions of players across the world, and had become a big part of pop culture among young people. The game was spread across streaming and video platforms such as Twitch and YouTube. To this day, Fortnite has 500 million registered users, 231 million of which are monthly users. On Nov. 3, the game re-released its map and items from season five from the summer of 2018. It was released as a new season which is being called “Season OG.” Each week, it moves forward one season and releases the map and items from that time. 

Fortnite is a 100 player battle royale, where players fight to be the last player standing. It is played from the third person point of view and has many different game modes where you can play solo, duo, trio, in a squad or in other limited time modes. The game became popular because of the ability to farm materials and build, which was unique compared to other games like it. It was also made popular because of its cartoon-like scenery, characters and items. 

The map where the game is played on has changed a lot since its release, as have the items in the game. These change as the seasons of the game go on. Many people through the years had complained about these changes, and wanted the game to go back to what it was when it had first released or near that time. 

“Season OG” has brought a lot of excitement to its loyal users, and also has brought back a lot of its previous users from when the game first released, including me. However, this new “Season OG” has also brought up a lot of controversy within the users. Many people did not want the old map or items to be brought back because it allows for unbalanced gameplay, and many strategies which are seen as annoying or unfair have also been made available again. The old map that has been brought back is also smaller than the maps that were used in more recent seasons, which makes for faster games and more frequent combat. 

Even with these controversies, the game has brought back a lot of nostalgia for me and many users. This new season has brought back many memories made when I played with my friends when I was younger. I remember when I was in middle school, especially during the COVID-19 lockdown, I spent a lot of time playing the game with my friends. We all had a lot of fun playing together. 

I also think that the game was more fun and less intense when it first came out, so that feeling coming back has been very nice and has made the game a much more enjoyable experience. I also like that the games take less time because it makes for a more casual experience where I don’t have to devote a lot of time and energy to playing the game. 

I think video games are meant to be played for fun, which is why Fortnite going back to its origins and becoming more casual has been a very fun and exciting experience. As this season progresses and the maps from the past come back, I look forward to reliving and even making new memories having fun with my friends. 

“Fortnite Season OG”: ★★★★☆