‘Thanksgiving’ is a bone-chilling film for this holiday season

A haunting twist on this beloved holiday
Fair use from Spyglass Media Group

“Thanksgiving” is more than just a film about having a family dinner, but a terrifying murder mystery that will have your stomach twisting and turning all night. The film hit the theaters on Nov. 17, a perfect time to watch the film before you go to the holiday festivities. However, the plot of this film is all over the place. This makes me think that the movie was rushed and that the writers and director could have put a little more effort into the film. The film is a generic slasher film with a lot of blood and gore.

The movie follows the main protagonist Jessica (Nell Verlaque) after a Black Friday riot at her family-owned store that caused many people to lose their lives. A year later her father, the owner of the store that this tragedy occurred in, decided that they will reopen the store for Black Friday to make more money after this tragedy. The town has mixed opinions on this, but one person thinks that the people who participated in this riot should pay with gruesome and violent deaths. Jessica and her friends try to stop the killer and bring them to justice, but some of them wouldn’t live to see the end of it all. 

In my opinion, I think the acting was decent. Nell Verlaque did a good enough job acting to make you see the emotion of the deaths and how they affected her character. There were also some times that you didn’t really know what the scene was trying to show by the characters emotions because some of the other actors didn’t really show that. TikTok star Addison Rae made an appearance as Jessica’s friend Gabby and she didn’t do bad. Her acting wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t terrible.

The props that were used were pretty good. They used different fake organs and body parts to bring a little more realness to the film. At different points of the film the killer would use different cooking utensils to murder their victims. That, in my opinion, is really creative and is very fitting for the film considering it’s a Thanksgiving movie. The team did a great job making these props.

One of the best parts about this movie was the kills. If you are a fan of slasher and thriller films then you will really enjoy this film. The killers were very creative in their methods. The killer used different cooking utensils and finds the most creative way possible to torture their victims. This was very unique in my opinion. I have never seen someone use a potato masher to kill someone in a horror film before.There is one kill in particular that is so creative and fitting but also skin crawling that might make you regret cooking turkey on Thanksgiving. 

Most of the costumes weren’t special, but the costume that the killer wore was more creative. It consisted of a John Carver mask to represent the first pilgrimage to come to their town just to make it fit-in with the holiday spirit. The other characters just wore regular teenage attire and other everyday clothes.

In my opinion this film wasn’t too special but it was a very creative twist on the holiday. The film was enjoyable, the plot was decent, the acting wasn’t bad and the kills were good. I think that everyone will have a good experience with this film if you’re a horror fan or if you’re not. The movie has enough blood and gore for a big time horror fan, but not too much that would make an average horror fan not want to finish the film. The film is not perfect, but it is a good enjoyable horror film.however, I wouldn’t go see this film before a family dinner. 

“Thanksgiving”: ★★★☆☆