Best of the year in entertainment

Reviewing my favorite entertainment from this year

2023 has been an incredibly influential year in all aspects of entertainment — cinema, TV and celebrity drama. This year will surely be remembered for being one of the most important in the advancement of entertainment. This is a list of my favorite films, TV shows and celebrity drama of the year. 

Starting off with films, my favorite has to be “Oppenheimer.” Christopher Nolan’s film showed the Manhattan project, which was the process of making the atomic bomb. It was not only one of the most entertaining movies of the year, but also based on actual events. While many view the movie as slightly drawn out, it was all crucial to the story. I came in not really knowing much about the story of the atom bomb, but the movie showed me the process in an action-packed, high drama way. I thought it was very dramatic and an enjoyable watch. Although there were many great movies I enjoyed, “Oppenheimer” was definitely among the best. 

With so many TV shows these days, you can find them about nearly anything. While so many are about athletes, few look into their personal lives. In football, the quarterback is the most important position. The average sports fan sees the position as the player who starts with the football. “Quarterback” shows how complicated this position is. These quarterbacks are people, they have families, injuries and feelings stronger than just a football game. This short documentary shows how violent the game of football is for the quarterback, how they put their body through horrible things every single week for our entertainment. It truly shows the vulnerability of these athletes and how their lives are outside of football. I love football, and it included the Vikings quarterback, Kirk Cousins, which made it the perfect show for me. I strongly recommend it to any football fan. 

Of all the TV shows that came out this year, I would have to say that watching the second season of “Ginny and Georgia” was one of my favorites. I wasn’t really familiar with the show before the second season, but once I started it I was hooked. The show’s funny characters and mature plots are what I enjoyed most, but the jaw dropping drama is what made me obsessed. Every episode had me guessing and shocked by the revelations in the plot. The show also is all about kids in high school, which I liked as it greatly applied to my life. It’s one of those Netflix shows that you binge watch quickly and then regret you didn’t take your time with it and enjoy it. Season three is confirmed to come and is projected late 2024. Possibly favorite show of 2024? We will have to wait and see.

Entertainment is all about drama, and this year included possibly the largest celebrity drama of all time. The relationship of NFL (National Football League) superstar Travis Kelce and international phenomenon Taylor Swift. It has brought music fans and sports fans to become obsessed with their idols’s interesting relationship. I’m on the Kelce side of the relationship, but it’s still a crazy sight to see one of the biggest musical artists in the world at her boyfriend’s football games as if they’re in highschool. It kind of does feel like a high school relationship, where everyone is watching their every movement. The funniest part to me is Travis Kelce’s podcast with his brother, “New Heights,” where they talk about random stuff, including Kelce’s relationship with Swift. Nobody knows how this relationship will turn out, and many even believe it is just a ploy to gain popularity. While that could be debated, one thing is for certain, which is that their relationship is a drama rollercoaster.