Spotify Wrapped: a year in review

Millions await Spotify Wrapped
Fair use from Spotify

Spotify Wrapped is a unique thing that Spotify comes out with at the end of every year, usually around the end of November. It uses your listening history to showcase all of your favorite genres of music, your most listened to artists and most listened to songs of that year. Spotify presents it in a way that gets the users’ attention with a unique slideshow that includes your most listened to songs playing on each of the slides. Each of 12 slides has its own recap of your year of listening, showcasing all the subjects. 

I think Spotify does a great job with the ability to share each individual or whole slideshow with your friends or online with everyone, because it’s a great way to connect and share one’s music interests with others. Spotify realizes the impact music has on people and does a great job with its marketing of the yearly wrapped. This is why it is so popular and so many users look forward to that day when they can look back on their year of music and share it with everyone. 

One of my favorite features of Wrapped is the most played artists of that year. Another really cool feature on the slides are your total minutes listened to music that year. It’s always fun to see some really high numbers and then calculating to see how many hours it equates to. I think people look forward to it so much because it is such a fun thing to look at and share with their friends. All 12 slides have a different personality with all the different ways they are presented. Spotify does a great job with their creation of the slides. They personalize it to everyone’s individual taste very well and make people feel connected with the app and the artists you listen to. 

Now there isn’t a lot Spotify could work on because they do a very good job on their Wrapped section. It was hard trying to figure out what they could fix. I like it all in all and my friends like how they can see how much music they have listened to that year. One thing I think they could fix is they could work on including more artists and more songs instead of only having your top five. They could take Apple Music’s idea and include the top 15 over the year, but when you compare Apple and Spotify, Spotify does a much better job with their presentation and the information they give everyone. It’s a genius idea — whoever made the Wrapped section and is  loved by everyone who uses the app.