UMI’s new EP has nothing but good vibes

Every romantic’s favorite new artist
Fair use from RCA Records

Artist UMI recently released her new EP (Extended Play) “talking to the wind” on Jan. 19, and I can officially confirm that I’m a huge fan. The EP consists of four tracks: “why don’t we go,” “happy im,” “not necessarily” and “SHOW ME OUT,” and it consists of nothing but great R&B vibes.  Despite being so short, the album really feels complete in its 10 minute run. Through this EP, UMI depicts the whirlwind that comes with falling in love and all its emotions while still emulating that airy off the ground feeling with her soft, soothing vocals and laid back beat production. 

The song “why don’t we go” is such a great opener. It perfectly sets the mood with its cheerful lyrics and upbeat guitar chords as UMI depicts the beginning of a new love and that exhilaration that comes with it. It’s overall just a really sweet song that feels like laying on a patch of grass on a nice sunny day. Catch me frolicking in the grass when it finally grows back to this song. 

“not necessarily” is probably my favorite song from the EP. It definitely has a different vibe from the earlier songs as it’s not so much new love but lust. It takes a slower approach both in lyrics and in sound, as well as introducing heavier bass and more reverb into its rhythm. Also, I absolutely just love it when songs pitch or slow down the vocals at the start or end of the song to break off from its original consistency. It just tingles my brain. 

“SHOW ME OUT” is pretty obviously the last song as said in the title, but it also sort of relates to that progression of love that UMI is depicting. What I thought was genius was the way she combines the elements and vibes from the prior songs, conjoining the upbeat and slower rhythms in order to create a nice sort of finalization to this short collection of songs. It’s just so good and, ugh, the bass comes back and it sounds so amazing — seriously. I feel like I’m in space when I listen to this song. 

Overall, this EP is just a good time. UMI can surely deliver and I had nothing short of a good time when I sat down to listen to it. I just kept it on repeat even after I had finished it. R&B has always been one of my favorite genres and the vibes this EP exudes just reminds me of that. Recommend it to your lovesick friends, recommend it to your loved ones, recommend it to everyone, I don’t think there’s a way you can possibly not have fun listening to “talking to the wind.” 

“talking to the wind:” ★★★★★