‘Lift,’ not worth the watch

New Netflix movie rising
Fair use from Netflix

“Lift,” a movie released on Jan. 12 starring Kevin Hart, is about a master thief who encounters and teams up with his ex-girlfriend and the FBI in order to pull off an impossible heist with his international crew on a 777 passenger flight from London to Zurich. The reward: half a billion dollars worth of gold. The movie has been the number one on Netflix for the past 2 weeks, but is it worth the watch?

I thought this movie was mediocre. It brought a good sense of humor and action at the same time, which was the main genre of the movie. It had a great story and a surprising twist to it towards the end, tricking the viewer into thinking it ends on a cliffhanger. However, there were some downsides to the movie itself.

Cyrus (Kevin Hart) is the main character of the movie. What I like about it is that Hart really played his role well — both as a criminal and as a comedian. He leads his team, which consists of experienced hackers and trained fighters. He then joins the FBI for some help in what is the biggest stealth heist ever. The acting was alright, it wasn’t the best, but there weren’t many characters in the movie. It almost felt like the movie was on a tight budget, but within those ranges it still felt like a good movie. The editing was probably the best part of the movie. Some things that stood out to me were the explosions and CGI (Computer Generated Images).

The costumes were just basic, there wasn’t much thought behind the costumes, mainly because it was a stealth mission, so they were trying to stay under the radar. If I had to choose who had the best costume, it would have to be Agent Gladwell (Guga Mbatha-Raw). She was the only one who really dressed to impress. She did that so she could fit in with the rich people on the plane to Zurich.

The movie started off slow and slowly began to get more action-packed the more it went on. They started off with a small heist to show what they did for a living, which wasn’t very interesting. It started to get good once they started training for the big heist.

My favorite part of the movie was actually fighting both the passenger plane and the private jet. It was the most entertaining part of the movie. I also liked the end of the movie, it tricks the viewer very well and shows the hidden plan behind the whole heist.

One thing I didn’t like about the movie was that it felt like the effort wasn’t really there. Other than the story, the acting wasn’t very surprising. For a movie that was made recently, it doesn’t really feel that new to me. It was like the genre of the movie wasn’t very strong.

There was a bit of romance in the story between Cyrus and Agent Guga, his ex-girlfriend. They started off as enemies but later realized they needed each other’s experience in order to successfully complete the heist and get the gold. They then decided to continue their lives together after the heist. 

Overall, I think this movie is meant for people who like to watch action and heist movies. It is less action-packed than movies that decide to go loud when robbing something, but this one was mainly a stealth mission, which limited the potential this movie could have had. The movie could have been better, I don’t think I would recommend it to anyone but it would be a movie for people who enjoy mild action with a mix of comedy.

“Lift”: ★★★☆☆