‘Argylle,’ block-bummer

Thriller disappoints despite well known cast
Fair use from Apple TV+
Fair use from Apple TV+

“Argylle” is a newly released movie directed by Matthew Vaughn, which is based on a book written by unidentified authors who wrote the book under the name Elly Conway. This movie is star-studded, featuring actors such as Bryce Dallas Howard, Dua Lipa, Henry Cavill, Sam Rockwell and John Cena.

In this movie, Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) is depicted as a novelist who is finishing her fifth espionage novel. She is taken on a journey throughout Europe and the Middle East where she attempts to take down a spy organization called the Division after she is attacked by members of the organization.

The story took the audience on a long series of twists, most importantly where a big twist is revealed. Throughout the story she remembers more and more about her past. The story concludes with her and her partner, Aidan, taking down the Division.

The film had a lot of famous and popular actors who all portrayed their roles very well. This movie is a spy movie, but still has an element of comedy and unseriousness that is attractive to many viewers — however, the jokes were very dull and not very funny. The movie was written very poorly with a lot of flat dialogue, and became very boring and difficult to watch.

The film outlines a plot full of twists and turns that keep the audience suspenseful making it hard to predict what happens next. The film did a good job of making future predictions, as it was very difficult to follow at times and the plot became very confusing, especially towards the end. The film moved at a very fast pace. The story felt like it moved without remaining in any moment long enough to provide deeper meaning or insight to any scene in the film.

The film does not look as good as it could have visually. The special effects were good, but the film had very boring and uninteresting costumes and outfits. The visuals throughout the film were basic and did not make it feel like a dystopian universe. The sets were also very boring. The movie traveled to a variety of beautiful places in the world, but the film did not show off that beauty to the extent that it could have.

The film attempted to replicate spy movies of the past, such as “James Bond,” but ended up missing the mark. It did not feel as intense or serious as spy movies of the past, and with that unseriousness, it didn’t have any real comedy. Another unlikable aspect was the plot — it was very hard to follow and was far too fast paced. The movie was somewhat upbeat and provided some action, but overall, I did not enjoy this film.

“Argylle”: ★☆☆☆☆

View Comments (1)